Advice on new 156 issues. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Advice on new 156 issues.

I bought a 156 1.6TS standard about a month ago. I have a few minor issues, I was hoping I might be able to get help with.

The day I drove it off the forecourt, I noticed an annoying clicking noise from the steering wheel. The dealer says it was a faulty clock spring inside the wheel, which was affecting the indicator switch. After they replaced it, I still have this clicking. Anyone know what this could be. When you turn the wheel right, everything is fine, but when turning back to the left, it sort of makes a loud click.

The other problems I have are rattles :
1. Radio rattles on very uneven road surfaces. I've seen this in 2 other brand new Alfa's also. So I guess there is nothing I can do here.

2. Occasional loud crack from dashboard (drivers side) going over deep depressions or bumps. As you probably know the roads in Ireland are crap.

3. Famous centre airvent rattle. Usually only in cold weather.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Sorry I can't be of help but I had the same problem which has just disapeared.

Is there anyone who can explain to me the noise which I can only describe as a grasshopper comes from. It comes from inside the car but only when the car is moving so I can't find the poor we bugger to feed it. Must be starving now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mr T
I have a little "rattle" sorta noise that took me ages to trace. But its coming from the Tacho... everytime it drops past about 3000rpm it makes this little buzzing sorta noise, not unlike a grasshopper, I haven't had it looked at yet. But this might be your mystery noise!
I just discovered that I have this clicking noise on the steering as well (alfa 156). Just moving the steering very slightly from right to left in particular will often cause this click sound. Anyone found out the reason for this?
AO Gold Member
On the radio rattle:

Try enclosing the radio in zelf-adhesing (thin) foam. This pervents it from rattling inside its "cage". Also putting foam around the connecting cables may help.

Worked for me in my old 156.

Good luck
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Flanno:

3. Famous centre airvent rattle. Usually only in cold weather.

thx</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Flanno, does your car have a trip computer on the center vent? If not, remove it and attach thin (1-2mm) black foam strips along the edges of the vent where it contacts the dashboard. Then put it back in place, and it should rattle no more (or much less). This works for me quite well.

Actually the problems you mentioned are "standard features" on most 156.

//2000 156 2.0TS / AD Remap / Supersprint Exhaust / K&N Filter Kit / Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey Suspension / AR Strut bar /16" Telephone dials + Yokohama V550 / Tar-Ox discs + SS lines + MQ pads //

//2005 Subaru Impreza WRX PPP / K&N Short Ram-air Intake / Brembo 4-pot Brake Kits / Prodrive GC-010 British Black 18x7.5 Forged Alloys / Michelin Pilot Sport Cup / Prodrive Spring Kit / STi Aero kit //

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , advice , issues