My engine went bang - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Aussie Bruce
My engine went bang

One of our company cars is a 147 Selespeed. It has only done 14,000 miles. A month ago the engine went bang, after starting to use a LOT of oil in the last 1000 miles. Not my doing however. I've now adopted it as the driver at the time has opted for anopther car.

The car was serviced at about 12,500 miles, and the Alfa dealer was told it was using a lot of oil. The car was serviced and nothing more said than "watch the oil". 800 miles later and about 8 litres of oil, apart from what was put in at the service, and the engine stared making veyr loud banging noises.

The engine was diagnosed as "buggered". No kidding! Why I asked. "It ran out of oil" I was told.

So the car was pronounced OK after the service, and 800 miles later it went bang. Something was very wrong, and Fiat have now replaced the engine under warranty. So far it's done about another 700 miles and used about 2L of oil. Possibly expected while new, but will have to see.

I've been told many things by the dealer, including "it uses oil to cool the pistons, that's why it uses lots of oil", and "it sprays oil into the combustion chamber, and so uses lots of oil". The first is typical of most engines, and the later sounds like complete crap. Does anyone have actual technical knowledge of WHY this engine drinks oil.

I've been told to check the oil every 500 miles, and the owners manual says every 300. For a company car this is completely unrealistic, IMHO.

I was also told "if the red light comes on the engine has already fried". If this is so, and the engine uses vast quantities of oil, why the hell didn't Alfa fit an oil warning gauge. Even Renaults have these fitted as standard.

I thought you guys might like to know about this happening, and how Fiat dealt with it, and hopefull might have something to add about why it uses so much oil. It's a nice car to drive, but not practical for company use unless you're very careful.
Sponsored Links
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

You have been fed utter crap for excuses, I bet that is the same engine as the one before and I think that this could be related to *** This Subject***

Keep us all informed
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

I didn't have to add any oil since delivery of my 147! It uses just a little bit, but the oil level is still above the minimum level (after 15.000 km)

I drive like a **** every day across London and even then the car "only" sups about a litre every 1000 miles.A litre every 100 miles is an oil leak in anybodies book!
Aussie Bruce
The engine doesn't seem to be leaking oil. I would expect to see clouds of smoke if it was being burnt. So I'm at a loss to explain where it's going.

Alfa service, apart from the fact that they replaced the engine, is utter crap. We were without the vehicle, or any replacement, for over a month.

The engine does appear to be new, and not a repaied one. Close inspection shows that tools have been used all over the engine parts, and the head and block look virginal. I expect they fitted a short motor (head, block, crank, pistons, etc).

I'm used to Audi quality and service, which I believe is far better than Alfa. Just my opinion though.

I'll post the results as I put a few more miles on the car, as I'm now driving it for a while
AO Silver Member
County: North Sealand-
Hi Aussie Bruce
I would get in contact with Fiat/Alfa UK and have them deal with the problem and recommend another dealer near you. When Fiat/Alfa or a dealer is investigating the car, you should have another car on loan – at least that’s the practice here in Denmark, any new car is delivered with an Alfa Contract stipulating a loan car if your car is in a service shop overnight for warranty repair among other things.
You are right, this sounds mysterious; with this amount of oil disappearing from the engine, it either should emit clouds of blue smoke or black puddles under it whenever parked. However, it shouldn’t be impossible for experts to diagnose.
PS. My present Alfa 155 with a similar engine and 85000 miles behind it consumes about 1 litre of oil every 6000 miles
Alfisti regards
Rob H
If it's using this much oil get your catalyst checked out, they tend to catch anything untoward that the engine chucks out and get buggered. You don't want to get lumbered with the cost at the first MOT......

Spraying oil into the combustion chamber !!!! Utter Bo**ocks, the plugs would foul and the catalyst would shag itself. The only oil jets will be at the bottom of the bores directed at the underside of the pistons.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bang , engine