Noisy Engine ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-08-08 Thread Starter
Noisy Engine ?

Last week i purchased a second hand 156 1.8ts Sport Wagon. it had a niosy engine. When i bought the car i was given a reciept from Stoneacers of Peterborough stating that the Variator was causing the noise. I took it to the local Alfa Dealers today and had a new Cambelt and variator fitted. At a very reasonable price They priced mached a lower Quote. However when i went to pick the car up they told me that i had a noisy engine!. They said they took the cam out and checked it over and all seems OK, They have told me that the niose could possibly be the cam followers.

Has any one else had this problem?

Are the cam followers easy to change?

Can any one help?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Re: Noisy Engine ?

Piece of cake to change the followers, always assuming you have the cam belt off and the cams out at the time! Shame they didn't do it while you were having the belt done becasue they are going to have to do it all over again :-(
However, it really annoys me when garages just randomly swap bits becasue they don't really have a clue what the problem is in the first place. Its the customer who ends up paying.

But - if you went to the garage and said "change the belt and variator" and thats what they did then no problem. If you said to them "my engine is noisy, fix it please" and its still noisy then they have messed up and additional work should be at their cost as they have charged you for work that wasn't needed.
County: Wiltshire
Re: Noisy Engine ?

It's probably not the followers, but the holes in the head in which the "TAPPETS" sit in, they wear when the engine has been run low on oil or when the cambelt snaps, causing elongation of the hole and the "TAPPETS" rock on the top of the valve as the stroke of the cam lobes role over them. For more information and images of some damage like yours has "POSSIBLY", check out this thread.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , noisy