17 or 16 inch wheels - please advise! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Jay Nine
17 or 16 inch wheels - please advise!

My dealer has just confirmed that the car is built and in transit.

I have asked for 17" accessory wheels not the ones from Alfa 147 option list. Is the ride so crashy on 17" wheels that it spoils the overall effect of the car? I get to drive 16 miles each way to work on a good B road, superb driving area, but full of ruts and bumps. Should I stay on the standard 16" for better driving carachteristics and not be so vain with my multi spoked alloys? I do not really want to spend a load of money on uprated springs. Its a Selespeed 147 with everything you could fit to it.
Sponsored Links
17s do need uprated springs imo,but thats as much to do with the 6ft of air betweeen the tyre and the rim as it is the ride! Imo the 16s will be better,but uprating the springs and lowering by 40mm with the 17s will look seriously good (I'm doing it but with dampers as well)

Will be better than the slow limo you are currently driving [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
oh,and I forgot,if you want Brembos,the 16s wont fit.
I've got 17"s on my 147, and the ride is quite jittery. I've been a passenger in a 147 1.9JTD with 16"s on the Autobahn and it seemed much smoother than mine.

Like Dave, I am seriously considering a trip to AutoDelta. My dealer has offered me a test drive in another car with 17"s just to make sure that I'm not dreaming it all up!

Same here, the difference from my 205/55/16 winter tires to the 215/45/17 was huge, but then winter tires are notoriously soft, which is great for highway cruising, but not much fun on the type of roads an Alfa is really meant to drive on! But with 17's, you need to avoid potholes and stuff, which is a bit of a hassle on some roads... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I've got 17 inchers and I wish I'd stuck to the 16's. For some reason the 17 sports were £50 cheaper than the 16's and with bigger tyres to?! The 17's look good, but the ride other than on the smoothest of tarmac is rock bloody hard that's why most of the demonstrators have 16's - I think! [img]smilies/cwm1.gif[/img]
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Hi there guys'n dolls

Why consider 16 or 17 inch when you can go 18. I've been using 16 inch during winter on my previous 155 Super and on my Present 156 Selespeed, and for the time being 18 Inch during summer (Errh well, from April untill late November). My point is this, if you buy decent tyres U wont feel the difference in comfort, but U sure will in handling.

Hoygaard [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advise , inch , wheels