Heavy damage repair - Does it really look like new? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Heavy damage repair - Does it really look like new?

Just heard my 156 which was involved in quite a hard front end ding may be repaired and not written off. The repair will apparently cost a whopping 6000.

I am a little worried whether the repairs will be like new and whether it will heavily affect the resale value.

Further to this, is it worth getting in touch with the repair shop and trying to get them to do some "extras" i.e. spray not affected panels which have stone chips or even paint door mirrors as with new 156?

Anyone had experience of a heavy repair job?

Please drive carefully, wouldn't want anyone to go through all this hassle...

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

RS Clio 197

Haven't suffered this misfortune myself (touch wood), but I have observed from pretty badly damaged cars being brought back to just as good as new. So take heart, if you have good repair shop, it should look like new again.
AO Silver Member
County: North Sealand-
Hi Siro
A bit of advice from a former car dealer.
Go to your dealer and try to get at trade-in offer for the damaged car for a new or second hand car – it’s best if it’s the dealer’s repair shop that is to repair the damaged one. If you don’t get a satisfying offer it always a good idea to have any “private” repairs done at the same time, it often safes money and always safes you from being without the car once again.
Alfisti regards
I had wondered whether it would save money to get other jobs done while the mechanics still had their hands dirty. Make sense doesn't it.

Dealerships are strange in Finland. Mine is at a Saab dealer of all places. Alfa dealers here sell Fiat and get this, LADA!

Hi Siro,

There are a lot of views always banded about regarding cars which have been in accidents and the horror stories associated. I have a very close friend who used to own a body shop and now does much of the painting involved in the panels on the F-1 cars! He has repaired a 55000 Audi recently for himself which had suffered a very heavy frontal one side and required the removal of the engine etc to repair. I have seen it before and after and the car looks fabulous inside and out including all the nooks and crannies and drives perfectly. As you can appreciate he is a perfectionist as are most of the teams he paints for!!!

If the repairs are undertaken by a professional bodyshop i.e the main dealership then it should end up as good as before. New vehicles are made more like lego kits today and without trying to oversimplify, most negative views are made by ignorant mis-informed once every 3 year experts when it is time to by a new motor types!!!!

In regard to the resale in the UK there is no requirement to disclose that your car has been repaired and in this example, where it has been professionally repaired why should there be? (I appreciate you reside in Finland though where the law may be different).

I think many would be amazed at how many brand new cars they pick up from the show room have been repaired before they even reach the dealership from transportation mister minas and you would never here a word from the salesman about that!!!!

As other Alfisti have already said it is worth having them do anything else you aren't happy with at the same time and should be very cheap with such a heavy smash to start with being undertaken. Only sign for the car though Siro when you have had a thorough look and drive in it and are happy with it. Any paint shop manager should understand this any how, and if not then tell him in no uncertain terms how you feel! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Hope some of this is of help and sorry for going on.....

Warm regards

164 Super
Hi there!

All this depends on how bad the car is damaged. I repaired my friends 155 a while ago (missed a curve and ended up on a 1 foot wall with the rearend in the air!). Although the car looked total loss, no vital parts were hit. A few new body parts and a paint job later, the car looks like new. Even if the hit was hard enough to bend the main support beams they can just "unbend" your car (it's not a pretty sight, don't go and watch, it will cause immediate heart failure. Been there, done that)

As my fellow alfisti mentioned above, it all comes down on how good your repair shop is. Don't worry, you wouldn't believe the things they do these days!

Cheers lads,

Very encouraging. I shall actually hear the verdict on whether they will actually repair the car or scrap it today. Will keep you informed...

Write off!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

damage , heavy , repair