Steering wheel not straight - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

Steering wheel not straight

When I am driving alone I have to hold the wheel to the left to get the car to go straight, I have had the tracking done at 3 different garages (2 wheel then 4 wheel) but it hasn't made a difference.

I replaced my front suspension which caused the initial left pull, so I took it to kwik fit for an alignment. They couldn't do it because the passenger side track rod end was completely stuck on, and it the process of trying bent my rear transverse arms. I replaced the rear arms and the track rod end at the front and took it for a full 4 wheel alignment and watched it happening as well as seeing the printout showing that everything was in the green (apart from the camber which is out due to lowering). The steering wheel was still off centre (same direction).

I decided to live with the issue as I couldn't keep wasting time on it, but recently I had the front tyres replaced and they checked the tracking at the same time and said it was 4mm out at the front and adjusted it, but the wheel is still in the same place.

As far as I can tell there isn't any slop in the steering as small movements of the steering wheel cause the wheels to move, and rocking the front wheels slightly causes the steering wheel to move.

Whats going on?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 156 v6

Re: Steering wheel not straight

ive had this problem once before but that was just down to them not putting the steering wheel straight before they done the tracking had that sorted but now its come back again however i think my steering rack now has a little play in it so could be that but not to sure let me no if you find out what it is so i can check my one out
AO Member
Re: Steering wheel not straight

My wife had a 55 plate 10 month old Vectra-the steering wheel was out of line when we bought it. I took it to Kwik Fit and they aligned the geometry, took it out and the wheel was worse, took it straight back and the same. Aftre the 3rd attempt they told me to take it to a main dealer. Took it home and tweaked the track rod ends to straighten the wheel. We didn't kep it long!
My Alfa's whel was slightly out, and as the track rod end nuts were rusted solid, I took the steering wheel off and turned it one spline-it's fine now!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

steering , straight , wheel