Cosmetic surgery advice needed!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cosmetic surgery advice needed!!

Hi all,

It's been a little while since I've posted, but been enjoying following the threads over the past month or so... great to see that the site is still expanding - seems like we have new faces every time I'm on for a read. Great stuff.

So the new baby's been with me for seven weeks and have been having some real fun when I've had the opportunity to go off for a blat.

All was well until one Saturday afternoon, someone took a swipe at the front bumper and bottom edge of the wing while it was in a local carpark. Needless to say no insurance note left, just a nice set of scars for me to find! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So I think to myself ... no need to take her in for a full respray, the car refinishing firms that I've been hearing so many good things about should be able to sort this, so contacted one of the better known firms ... approx 17 (!!!) hours of work later, the guy has had enough after finding it impossible to recreate the correct colour / tint combination ... performed the repair work well, shame about the fact I now have a hideous mismatch in the paint on wing and bumper ...

So thats one lesson learned ... Nuvola Blue is a beautiful colour (had so many people remarking how good it looks on the car) and in my opinion and does the shape of the 147 a lot of justice, but seems a ***** to repair. I was aware that this may be a problem when I made the purchase, given the complex nature of tints used to create the iridescent effect, so it's not a complete surprise ...

The other lesson is to be a little more choosy about the places the car gets parked!

I now need to find some way to rectify this as I can't bear to leave the car so horribly scarred and disfigured ... Has anyone had respray work done on a 156 or 147 in Nuvola Blue? If so, what were the results like?

Most importantly, can anyone recommend a good Alfa approved bodyshop in SE England or London where I can take her in for some cosmetics? (And anyone have a rough idea how much it's going to cost to respray a front bumper and wing? - I'm not keen on making an insurance claim for this, for all the obvious reasons!)

Sponsored Links
I don't have any direct experience of Nuvola blue. What I can say is that when I was looking to replace mt 155 with a 156, I liked the look of Nuvola. When I talked to the service guys at the dealers there reaction was "don't". Just one of their Nuvola "horror stories" was a 166 which need a new fuel filler flap. The whole side of the car had to be sprayed to get a match. It doesn't seem there's an easy answer, just lots of hard work from a good body shop.

have you tried Autodelta in London, they do some great work. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

I park my Spider now,so it occupies 2 spaces because I do not trust anyone to park properly or not to open their door and hit mine.The other day I was in my other company car and a woman in a Golf reversed into my car whilst I was sitting in it.I got out to tell her what she had done and she was completely oblivious to the fact she had hit my car.Fortunately no damage was done but you can`t be too careful. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
AO Member
Ares, sorry to hear about your problems and I can't offer any advice as I'm not even Alfisti yet [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .

But I would like to thank you for pointing this out. I was seriously considering Nuvola Blue and now I think I'll stick to plain old Metalic. Shame cause it does look good.

Good look with you repair.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , cosmetic , needed , surgery