New 147 imminent - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 26-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
New 147 imminent

I'm picking up my new 147 (Alfa Red, tan leather and 16" sport alloys) a week today and have been getting quite excited at the prospect for the last few weeks. As an Alfa virgin (but with a love of all things Italian!) I'm also somewhat nervous given the horror stories one reads and the seemingly endless list of problems members are posting on this site. Should I be this nervous?
Has anyone got any advice as to what I should be looking out for on collecting the car from the dealer. I guess I should have a good look around it before accepting it but should I test every bit of electrical equipment etc. I'm a bit worried that I'll be so keen to drive the thing that I won't be rational enough at the time to spot anything that may be wrong!!!!
Sponsored Links
nervous....don't be nervous!

1) there is the risk that all new cars from any manufacturer will have teething problems. No one makes a perfect car, and a new Alfa is not going to be substantially worse than a new Ford or Vauxhall for instance.

2) You're getting a cracking car, even if it does have the odd glitch. Imagine having a Golf with a glitch. When the glitch is fixed, you're still left with a Golf!

3) There's a heap of info on this site and knowledgable folk post here that have probably had the same problems you may get, and will have the answer on how to fix it.

4) Check the oil very regularly.

So, enjoy your car, and be comfortable in the knowledge that it'll be no worse than any other new car and that this site's here to help ya if you have got a problem or need an answer. Now go and collect your lovely Alfa and stop worrying!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Don't forget RAC cover! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Have to agree with G on this one! Nothing more to bve worried on the 147 than on any of the German competitors.

But when you buy Alfa, there's maybe more to worry about for your wife or your girlie, because she might get jealous after a while, hehe. Don't think that's a problem when you drive a G*lf...

Also, don't forget when you see all the problems here on this site, that people go on here for solving their problems often, not many are sad geeks like me who sit here even when my car is working and I should be outside in the sun, driving!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I thrash mine to an inch of its life every day and nothing has gone wrong apart from a coupla of minor things the garage picked up at the first service

stop worrying,its a hugely succesful car and of course a few disgruntled owners will come to sites like this to look for answers/someone to blame/or just help.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Don't worry too much. Just walk around the car for possible dents and scratches because that's hard to prove when you left the dealership. For the rest you'll have warranty

So you love of all things Italian? So do I. Even my two months old daughter was made in Italy ;-)

(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-03-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for all the positive comments.....feeling better already!
Can't wait 'til next Wednesday to drive my new bambini!
Having driven a faultless Saab 9-5 for the last 3 years, I'm looking forward to a bit of latin temprement (just not too much......!)
I think the flashing/waving idea is great and reminds me of the old days in Dad's beetles (1960s!)
Let you know how I get on next week.
Great forum by the way.
dont be nervous Nervous.........

The 147 is a mental car. I had a golf gti before this sexy little alfa and i had shed loads of problems with was off the road for 3 weeks waiting for a new management chip and i had bits breaking and rattling.

apart from a very minor creak in my instruments binnacle (painful that!) my 147 has now done 19,000 miles and is the best car i have driven.....the engine is blinding and will make you forget any problems that might come along.

just enjoy it.....and i know you will.

Moby [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , imminent