Removing swirl marks on 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Removing swirl marks on 156

My dealer washed my 156 the other day. With a brush I'm sure. And now there is very light swirl marks on the bonnet and roof. Only noticeable under street lights though.

Anyway; I know there is a variety of swirl mark remover products from companies like 3m and Meguairs. As they are abrasive, I'm trying to avoid having to use these, and would prefer to use a very light glaze or cleaner/polish instead.

I've managed to get my hands on 3 products and was wondering if anyone has had results with any of the following :

1. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.
I have managed to get a bottle of this from the local car body shop. Has anyone used this stuff. I understand it just fills swirls and makes them less noticeable. As I only have very light swirls, I'm hoping this will remove them as they mention on www.carcareonline.

2. Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax. This is a paint cleaner / wax, and promises to remove light swirls also.

3. Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Big seller where I live. Some people have reported it removes light swirls and scratches.

Sponsored Links
Mike D
Hi Flanno,

Doesn't it just annoy you when the dealer does this kind of stuff. I specifically ask the dealer NOT to clean my 156 when it goes in for work - it usually comes back messier than when I dropped it off. They wash it then park it in the sun without drying it and water spots are hard to clean off.

Anyway, back to your question. I've had good results with Mothers scratch remover. I haven't had to remove any swirl marks but it'll take out light scratches without leaving any swirls. Then a coat of Mothers Sealer and Glaze followed by Mothers Carnauba(sp?) Wax.

I think Mequairs and Autoglym probably make similar products - as long as it designed to be used on clear coats you should be OK. The old style Turtle Wax car polish will make a real mess of a modern clear coat.

As an aside I use Mothers chrome cleaner on all my windows - doesn't scratch and leaves a very hardy water repellant coating (at 60mph in rain you can turn the wipers off). It also keeps the tailpipe nice and shiny.

Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
AO Member
Same thing happened to my 156 - dealer in Galway washed it after some minor rattle fixing, leaving lots of lovely swirl marks - on a 3 month lod car. Really pi$$ed me off as I'm so careful washing it myself and only with clean sponges etc.
Anyway, I spent a lot of time checking out the various options to fix it - be very careful what you use - most if not all are abrasive in some way. I settled on Autoglym Super Resin Polish in the end - applied it a few days ago (was surprised how easy it was to apply and rub off), and most of the swirl marks are now covered - not all though, so might give it another treatment in a week or so to improve things just that little bit.
One very important note - make sure you buy the Autoglym perfect polishing cloths to apply and remove it - they're the only decent non-scratch cloths you can get in most stores.

Autoglym. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , marks , removing , swirl