147 Squeal on startup - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 02-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0ts

147 Squeal on startup

Hi evryone... a little help please!

I've had my 147 2.0 TS for just over a month now. It has recently (the last few very wet mornings) made a squealing noise on startup. The squeal sounds to me like a belt slipping but i'm not mechanically minded at all. The squeal stops after a few minutes and wont happen again until the following morning (all of which have been wet). The squeal increases with engine revs and stops altogether when the car begins to warm. It sounds to me like the noise from old vans in the morning!! The car is in very good condition and is an 03. It has full service history with the cam belt being changed at 36'000 miles. It has now done 58'000 miles and will be due for the new cam belt in December this year going by the three year 36'000 mile rule. Any ideas what the noise is, if it has anything to do with the cam belt and what i need to do!?
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: 147 Squeal on startup

Probably the Aux belt tensioner has reached the end of travel as the aux belt itself has stretched, or it could be an idler on the way out, this is best taken to your nearest Alfa experienced mechanic if your not into spannering yourself.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , squeal , startup