Anyone have any tips on getting the best out of the handling on a 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Anyone have any tips on getting the best out of the handling on a 156

This is not only my first Alfa, but my first car. Start as you mean to go on!

How well will it handle? How far can I push it etc etc?

Sponsored Links

1) don't know

2) take the route the discovery gently, bit at a time. no point having a big off soon after getting the car, and hurting yourself in the process

3) guess you've got some quiet roads nearby?

Oh, yeah plenty of quiet roads, problem is they are covered with ice. The car has snow tyres on at the moment which limit speeds even when there is no ice.

The tyres are cross-tyres (not studded) and it was pretty scary at first. You get used to the sliding at it slides evenly which is great. A good Finnish driver drove it fast in the snow and it was a pretty exhilerating ride!

AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

It takes a little while to get used to the 156s steering.Its very quick and very direct.(More so than that on the Spider.)
First of all it feels that if you as much as sneeze it will change direction but you`ll soon get used to it and come to appreciate it.My 156 was great fun because it had the standard skinny 185 tyres which meant that it would squeal if you pushed it but made it pretty predictable when you were having fun on a wet roundabout!
I found that it put its power down pretty well too,having decent traction even pulling away hard on wet roads.(By comparison my Vectra Sri spins its wheels everywhere.)
Have fun,I wish we had more snow here! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Some days you`re the statue and some days you`re the pigeon
AO Member

Member car:

Take it easy at the start and get to know the car. Even at the start you can have plenty of fun without hammering the poor girl. My fuel economey now back this up.

I had a set of 185's on at the start and as Pete said push the car and it would understeer. I'm now on 205 and it's make a huge difference.

When I first got it I was surprised that there was no torque steer out of corners. Less trouble.

Altogether a great car.

Mr T

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , handling , tips