Fuel tank error? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 21-02-02 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Fuel tank error?

Yesterday I refuelled my Alfa 147 JTD with 57,00 liters of diesel. After I started the engine (after I paid ofcourse [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img], I noticed a beep coming from the board computer indicating that the fuel tank was low on fuel. The fuel-light was yellow, as though the car was running on reserve fuel.

Because I found it strange (this is the third time I refuelled and normally after starting the engine (after refuelling), the fuel gauge goes up very fast to indicate the fuel tank is full), I stopped and started the engine again and the same problem persisted.

As I drive an Alfa I thought "a what the hell", I know the fuel tank is full, so I drove away. Then I noticed the fuel gauge was going very very slowly up until it indicated that the fuel tank was full. This took about half an hour. I thought that maybe there was air in the fuel tank or something like that, but I don't know how the mechanism of the fuel gauge works, so I really don't have any idea about this issue.

As it happened yesterday, I'll refuel during the next couple of days to see if the problem comes back. Has anybody else experienced this "Alfa-feature"?

Mel [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cwm1.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cwm29.gif[/img]

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven, I look at my son and daughter and I believe.

Quote of the month: "Extremist ideas bring NON-tolerance as a result, because people having their face stuck up so deep in their Ar5e that they can't smell nor are interested in other's 5hit!"
Sponsored Links
spring dampened fuel gauge!! How cool is that!!
<font size="5">Up yours VW! Grab handles are yesterdays news!!
I've had the same problem the first time I refuelled my car. After that I have never had this problem again. I didn't mention it to my dealer so I don't know the solution to this problem
AO Member
How wierd is this? I filled the tank at the weekend and had the exact same problem. Stopped and started the car a couple of times without any effect. As I was driving along I noticed it slowly creeping to full, since the weekend it has never happened since.

I ran the tank pretty low (kept putting off filling up) and I orignally thought I'd got the float/sensor stuck or somehow drowned it....

Car is at the dealer next week so I was going to mention it then (for what its worth)
Perhaps with the two of you that had this problem in the last few days ....
Your 147 has been infected by the Fuel Tank Macro Virus!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Hi Enzymes,

Any news on when you get your 147?

Mike D
I haven't had a problem with a slow moving fuel gauge after filling (incidently is the 147 as hard to fill to the brim as the 156?). The problem I occasionally get is the gauge only going to 3/4 when its so full I'm spilling petrol on the forecourt. Usually after going over a sharp bump the gauge will move to full.

Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I haven't had a problem Mike except the first fill refused to go to the top,then its been ok.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

I've had the same problem, but only the first time I refuelled my 147.
Since then everything seems to be OK.

ciao, Licci

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

error , fuel , tank