Correct procedures for selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Correct procedures for selespeed

HI guys,
Just wondering do you guys follow the procedures from the manual when starting off/switching off the engine?From the manual it says that when starting the engine one needs to step on the brakes and also to step on the brakes and engaged 1st gear before turning off the engine and to wait for the lights to go off in the gear indicator before removing the key.
Peter Tan [img]smilies/kaioken.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Mike D
Hi Peter,

When I was learning to drive ooh 26 years ago I was taught to always leave the gearbox in nuetral when parking and turning the engine off. Use the handbrake to hold the car in place. If I remember rightly I was told leaving the car in gear puts excessive strain on the gearbox.

Anyway, years of habit can be hard to break so I always put my Selespeed in neutral before turning the engine off. It beeps a few times to tell me I've done something wrong but there are so many other beeps and warning lights in the car what's another one?

I always like to give the car a 30 second idle before moving off (another habit from my years with a Mazda RX2 rotary). Parking the car in neutral means I can unlock it, open the door, put the key in the ignition and fire it up without having to get in and put my foot on the brake. Incidently, the first thing the gearbox does when you start the engine is shift into neutral anyway.

The only time I leave the car in gear is when parking on a steep slope and then I turn the wheels into the kerb as well. But then again that's standard practice for hill parking isn't it?

Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

I always step on the brakes when I start my Selespeed. And when I shut the engine off, the gearbox is already in first gear, which happens automatically when you stop the car. But I never wait with retracting the key until the lights go off from the gear indicator. And when itís winter I donít like to park in neutral and use the handbrake (because I donít want to get stuck when itís freezing).

(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Mike & Selespeed,
Thanks for the replies from you guys.That's what i thought when one were to leave the gears in neutral so as not to 'strain ' the clutch if it is in gear.Maybe the manufacturer wants us to leave the car in gear is for precaution in the event that the car is park on a slope.Anyway,selespeed, you should wait for the gear indicator light to goes off before removing the key because in the manual it says that it's for the clutch to fully 'close'.
Peter Tan
HI to all,
As I am waiting for my new 147 selespeed to be delivered now at the end of february I am fukky aware of problems that may occur and the right handling of the gearbox but my question is does it need maintenance? do you change the clutch when it wears like you do on a regular manual gearbox?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

correct , procedures , selespeed