Alfa 156 1.6TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 24-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156

Alfa 156 1.6TS

Hi guys - i am soon to be a second time alfa owner - but your advise would be very welcome.
I used to own a 156 2.0ts selespeed - beautiful to drive - but it had its faults and I had to sell (at a profit though!).
Anyway, me and the mrs are after a second car and although i know the 1.6 is a little under powered, any thoughts would be welcome on the deal i have brokered myself.

I have found a 2001 51 plate 1.6ts in red with 41,000 miles on the clock, but described as "due a service".

Its in excellent condition, apart from a medium sized dint in the driver's door.

No rust, new gear box fitted at 36,000 miles.

When is this car due its "major" service - and is it generally cheaper than the same job on the 156 2.0ts?

Should I be trying to get it cheaper than 1200? (Got them down from 1600 to 1200 before viewing).

I am having to travel 100 miles to take a proper look so any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thankyou very kindly
Sponsored Links
Re: Alfa 156 1.6TS

Welcome aboard mate.

Firstly, has it had its cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and variator change? If not, then you are going to be looking at around £500 minimum including the service.

The cambelts need changing every 36,000 miles / 3 years on the Twinspark Alfa engines, so if this has not yet been done then it's well overdue. It's a major job and it's quite necessary to get the waterpump and variator done at the same time.

To be honest, if they've not listed it in the advertisement then I really doubt it has been done.

From your description it sounds quite decent, but do bare in mind it's on a 51 plate so will therefore fall into the new tax groups, so find out which one it's in first, as you might be better off buying an older example. (2000 and before)

From what I've heard on the forum, the 1.6 156 is a decent enough little motor, but personally I'd want at least a 1.8 engine in a car that big. I've had both a 156 2.0 TS, and a 156 2.5 V6, both quite cracking performance wise, but the V6 was a heavy drinker,

The 2 litre Twinny though was quite decent on fuel and went like the dickens with better handling than the V6, it's the one I'd go for personally. I think you'd suffer from the decrease in power to be honest otherwise.

Does the car come with FSH, dealer books, all keys etc etc? £1200 'sounds' like a good price, but that may be because it needs a full service and all of the cambelt work etc doing. Ask them if it's been done and at what mileage, if they say it hasn't been done, then that's not an issue, but you will need to get it serviced and have the cambelt changed the instant you get it as it's already running on borrowed time. £1200 + £500 (Minimum) is £1700.

£1700 could get you a cracking 1999 156 2.0 TS SP3 with about 70K on the clock, belts changed etc etc, FSH.

Have a think about it mate and let us know what you decide!
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

what he said

welcome along mate, best of luck
AO Member

Member car:

I'd give it a look at that price. I've owned a 156 1.6 veloce with the ironing board on the boot, great looking car, 1.6 for past 5 years, a 2001 model y reg, currently 56k. Plugs need changing at 60k. Book states belts etc should be changed 72k or 5 years but reckoned I was running on borrowed time last month got belts changed. Found an alfa trained mechanic at a local garage - quoted £300 but rose to £400 as main pullet (aluminium) was corroded to main steel shaft and pullet had to be renewed. Great driving car, a bit underpowered for rapid accelleration but I run it daily and it is always a pleasure to drive. It is slightly lower geared than the 1.8 and above and this does help to get it moving so revs are a wee bit higher on motorways, but hey alfas are for reving anyway. Give it a go pal- id you can't afford the belt change, take a chance at the price, but remember it goes straight to the breakers if your luck runs out!! Good luck.

Andalso, what sort of MPG does the 1.6 engine give?
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Moved to 156 Tech Lounge

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16ts , alfa