Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed reverse gear selection - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-01-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed reverse gear selection

Hi from Cape Town.

I recently bought my very 1st Alfa, a 147 Selespeed, and I really love driving it. It was 4 months old with 15,000kms when I got it. On delivery I noted 2 problems: An airbag warning light permanently on, and sometimes not being able to engage the Selespeed reverse gear. I subsequently tracked down the previous owner who had changed back to BMW after owning the Alfa for 4 months. He said I had bought nothing but problems as the car had been in for service to the gearbox numerous times.

After 1st changing the divers seat airbag, and then the steering wheel airbag the warning light is now fixed after 2 months waiting for parts from Italy.

The reverse problem is proving more difficult to solve as it is hard to reproduce on demand. It happens at the worst times like being stuck in my garage or stuck in a parking lot. After numerous switching off the engine, restarting, engage 1st, 2nd with the joystick and paddles with no success it suddenly works again after 10 minutes or so, and then for weeks with no problems. I have taken to avoiding parking where I cannot get out going forwards!

The agents have adjusted the gear change hydraulic actuators and fiddled around several times but the problem persists. It is compounded by being hard to reproduce as it goes weeks without problems. Not to mention being at the dealers for days at a time!

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem as it is really working on my nerves and spoiling my Alfa experience. I was warned about Italian electronics before buying the car but hey, this was car of the year 2001!!!!

Sorry about being long-winded.

Sponsored Links

my gearstick has stuck regularly but i find i can't engage any gears when this happens.

This has been identified as a problem with the switch gear below the gear shift.

I'm waiting for parts from Italy at present but normally I can get it to work but by hitting the gearstick quite hard!

Previously I had a major problem with the selespeed slipping from 2nd to neutral. I had the same problem as it did not occur all of the time. Managed to get it to the garage whilst it was misbehaving and subsequently the ECU was replaced and all of the potentimeters and the actuator - now wporks fine apart from the sticky gear stick!

The diagnostic software on the Alfa should pick up failed gear changes. Mine did not put the dealer thinks this was due to the faulty ECU!

Hope this might be of some help. I went through hell trying to get mine working, so ggod luck!
Steve 147
My sticky gear stick has now been fixed - it was a problem with the switch box housed under the stick - its a 10 minute job once the part arrives!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , gear , reverse , selection , selespeed