should I buy 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
should I buy 147

Ok, I guess I am speaking to the converted but I have a genuine question.
I am in love with 147 (2.0L, 3dr, manual) and have test-driven it (at the dealer John Blair AlfaRomeo, Richmond, Melbourne). It's a bit slow but it handles well.
[I was originally looking forward to buying ClioSport (which just arrived in Oz) however the quality of the interior was so disappointing (and 15" wheels) that I had to leave it.]
The issues for me are: (1) very bad ENCAP test result (as I understand, the worst front collision result in ENCAP history!?) and (2) various problems like water collection and oil-burn (as per various comments on this forum). As I understand both of these issues are a result of bad workmanship (rather than bad design), yet how can I justify $43K on a car that has known problems when something like BMW 318ti has none yet is only a few grand more (which I'm not keen to spend anyway).
Stef (since you're from Melbourne) and others - can you comment?
Sponsored Links
The ENcap result was disappointing,but no,noit the worst in history! And the car still got an overall good score,its just that some new cars have been geting maximum points recently,so 3 stars seems crap now!

And it aint slow! The car can keep pace with a Golf T and has ten times the character.AS for oil,well the 2Ltr TS is one of the best engines going imo,it just a drink,thats all,nothing wrong with that! Most Alfa drivers are car nerds as well which doesn't help as they will be using 0 and 5w oil,which will get supped at an alarming rate. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .

As for the BMW.......well they have resolved the steering feel problems but still compared to the 147 its still anal driving at its worst imo.Yes its RWD and yes its a BMw and yes........sorry just nodded off then mate [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Your choice,but believe me when I tell ya that a blat down some country lanes in the 147 2LTR is a joy,the 318 can't touch it for fun.

And I haven't a clue what the water collection problems are.Ive done 8k in this very same car and Ive had no probs with anything,and I thrash the blighter! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
If you're in love, you're in love! Just follow your heart! I'm telling you the 147 will give you feelings a bimmer (or audi or vw or whatever) never will...
AO Silver Member
Not trying to make your mind up for you here.... but go for the 147!!! You'll have a smile on your face every time you drive it, and you'll get withdrawl symptoms when you dont!!
BMW?? Dont know about OZ, but in the UK... their all over the place... 147's on the other hand... unique, head turning... & the 2ltr engine, wonderfully warbling to all those within and without!!
I wouldn't worry too much about NCAP... are you planning to crash??? Just drive with your head and enjoy the car! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

There's too much to talk about the car in one post. Send me an email at and we can make time to catch up for a coffe at Chapel St. and we can go over the pro's and con's then.

Just to let you know, I have had a BMW 328i before and an Audi A3 1.8T, and I have not regretted buying the Alfa.

There are some very distinct things you need to know about the Alfa before making the final decision. I had an order with both John Blair's and Lance Dixon's for my car. In the end I went with Dixon's...Long story, but we can talk about it later.

Anyway, let me know.

I am relatively new to the world of Alfa since my first Alfa experience is with my 147 1.6 5dr distinctive, which I had for the past 6 months. I now have 6K on the clock, without the slightest hint of trouble. Before purchasing the 147 I was no Alfa fanatic or ever had any interest in Alfas, but the 147 changed completely my concept of driving. Having said that, I strongly recommend the 147 which ever model you go for.

Go for the 147 and enjoy every mile of driving
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

75 LE

If your that worried hang on a few months till any teething troubles are sorted.
Same goes for any new car, there are usually a few niggly faults at first.

As for a 318...yukkk no 4 cylinder BMW is worth having (only 6 & 8's) & why would you want one when you can have the TwinSpark
And also, if you look at some of the bimmer forums around the web, there are quite a few "quirks" with these cars too... No car is perfect, especially not if it's a relatively new model... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buy