Broken Rear Wiper motor ... a fix - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Broken Rear Wiper motor ... a fix

Rght, Having bought a 2001 Sportwagon JTD...I'm setting about snagging a few minor faults.

One of these was non working rear wiper. The water jet worked fine, but not a peep from the blade itself.

I took the plastic panels off the back interior ( be careful if doing this ), and took out the motor assembly.

Then into the kitchen, and I disconnected the two wires that plug into the little control box mounted on the assembly. I then hooked these up to my battery charge, and felt a slight kick as the motor tried to turn.

This is good news as it indicates the motor is not burnt out - ergo it will probably be something physical stopping it working. To sort this, I had to push back the 4 metal lugs holding the motor in place, and pull it free.

I then tried turning it ( the mechanical wiper assembly - NOT the actual motor ) with molegrips, and almost zero movement. There then followed a session of WD40, light hammer taps to the drive shaft, and more attempts to turn - slowly making progress.

Eventually it became free moving - motor back in, re-assemble, and into the car.

Bingo - save a few quid. Result

I did look at getting a new motor, which resulted in the following:

From Alfa - £160 brand new one

From Alfa - £55 reconditioned one w/ 12 month warrentee

From Ebay thief - £75 no warrentee

Hope this is of some help to you....

Now onto the airconditioning
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Broken Rear Wiper motor ... a fix

My rear wiper seems to have no life in it so I will try this. I was hoping it was as simple as the fuse had blown but no such luck.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

A siezed shaft is often the issue, there is a "howto" in the search somewhere...mine was exactly the same but I drifted out the shaft and relubricated it before re-assembling, there is a tricky circlip to refit. It's usually a case of the rubber "o" ring failing and water getting down the shaft.
AO Member

on mine the motor sounds like it goes round but it appears gears/cog are stripped or not engaging......plausible?
County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 jtdm 2006

i have removed all screws holding the internal panel to the boot lid but still cannot remove it to gain access to wiper motor,why?
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Originally Posted by hunter21 View Post
i have removed all screws holding the internal panel to the boot lid but still cannot remove it to gain access to wiper motor,why?
It's still held in place by clips around the edges. You need to get a hand in under a corner & pull it away from the bootlid. . . be prepared for clips flying everywhere!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

broken , fix , motor , rear , wiper