Funny thing happened on the way to work! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Funny thing happened on the way to work!

I was on my way to work when a brand new 156 Selespeed pulled up next to me at the lights. A quick glance and once the lights turned green the game was on.

The 156 was a Selespeed with Sports suspension. We were enjoying the brisk pace until we came to a red light next to one another. I think the guy in the 156 thought the lights would stay red for quite a while and he must have put the selespeed in neutral.

Unfortunately for him, the lights turned green quickly...all I heard was the 156 engine rev out to 7000rpm, but roll backwards!!!

The beautiful note of the engine revved out to 7000rpm was followed quickly by the crash of his car rolling backwards into the car behind!

As we were on an incline, he must have panicked at finding the car rolling back on the incline that he forgot to press the brakes.

I got out and helped him, but you could see he was rather upset at his 2 week old 156 having a rear bumper crushed.

Such is life! [img]smilies/cwm1.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Mike D

I'm not sure about the 147 but the 156 Selespeed has a time out when you stand still with it in gear. I couldn't tell you exactly how long (it's in the handbook) but I have found that some of the light cycles in Wellington are long enough to trigger it. Usually just as the lights turn green you hear the beep as it shifts to nuetral. One of those learning experiences.

Mike [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
One Damn expensive learning experience I think!

best thing about racing other Alfa owners is you always sense its just for fun and nothing gets silly.
Try that with an arse in a Beamer. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

ps Ive wasted a coupla 323's but the 325s are a handful.Get 'em down a twisty bit and they always lose their bottle [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
AO Member
The selespeed will also go to neutral if the drivers door is opened ! (ever droped a banana skin out of the car at traffic lights ??) [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]
Mike D
Yeah, it's a real pain when I'm backing the car into the garage. It'll stay in gear as long as I keep some accelerator on ie. the clutch is engaging. As soon as I lift of the accelerator, bang, into neutral she goes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

funny , happened , thing , work