147 GTA-the possible competition - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 GTA-the possible competition

Maxda RX8
Focus RS
Impreza WRX (or imported STI7)
M Compact (possibly too expensive)
Golf RSI

it will have to be good!
Sponsored Links
Audi S3 - Checkout everything included in the S3 including quattro (All Wheel Drive), Xenon Headlights, Leather Recaro Sports Seats, Etc. The only thing the Alfa might clearly beat the S3 in would be the performance as the S3 has a 1.8L Turbo.
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

I reckon that they will all be good competitors but if I was in the market for a 147 GTA the only other one that I would consider would be the RX8(very individual,like the shape).The BMW Compact and WRX would be too ugly for me to even consider,the RSi Golf is likely to be too stodgy and heavy if recent performance VW`s are to go by.
The Focus RS is more than likely to be excellent but not sure that I could live with the image.
Lets just hope the v6 doesn`t make the 147GTA too expensive.I wish they would do a tuned 2.0 litre minus some of the luxury gear for about 15k (think 306 Rallye)as a more affordable performance Alfa.

Some days you`re the statue and some days you`re the pigeon
yep,agree Pete,they should bring out stripped out hatches,less weight and frills-I would buy one!

SK-the S3 is a fine car but slightly devoid of driving pleasure imo-I have tested one and all the reviews are spot on "driver not invited" is one such review.If i was offered an S3 I would still keep my 2ltr 147!! Depends on how ya likes ya thrills.
Mike D
Here's another one. The Honda Integra Type R. 147Kw (~200hp) in a real screamer of an engine. Even the looks could grow on you after a while. And here in NZ it's priced very competitively - $45,500. Here are some comparative prices:
Alfa 147 2.0 3 dr - $49,995
Renault Clio 2.0 RS - $35,990
Toyota Celica 1.8 - $45,000
Nissan 200SX 2.0T - $45,495

Even though here in NZ (and Australia) the Type R we get is not the "real" Type R (162Kw) the marketing people have done quite a good snow job on the car buying public.

But remember, before we see the 147GTA we'll see the 156GTA. This will set the scene and we'll see what it's up against. It's a pity Alfa aren't going for 4WD as 250Hp is alot to put through the front wheels. I personally think there will be people who will go for the RX8 over the 156GTA because of the Mazda's more traditional drive line. It'll be interesting to see what sort of pricing Alfa and Mazda go for. Depends on the target market I guess.

Previously I quoted an estimated price of NZ$110,000 for the 156GTA. Let me put that into perspective in the NZ market. Here's what you can currently get for $100,000 to $120,000.
Any BMW 3 series (M3 is $143,000)
Any 5 series up to the 530
Audi S4 sedan squeaks in at $119,500 (S3 is $76,500)
Any MB C class (Except AMG)
MB E class up to 320
Nissan Skyline GTR
Porsche Boxster 2.7 man $119,000 (cheapest Porsche)
Any Saab (all less than $100,000)
And for those people who prefer good ole cubes the Holden HSV range are all within budget. Even the mighty HSV GTS 300 is $120,000.

Damn, my true colors are showing. I have a hankering for one of these V8 monstors. Aggressive styling, awsome sound but terribly anti-social in this day and age (or so the road safety nazis would have us believe).

Back onto the topic. A question I ask is: Is AR with the 147GTA (and 156GTA for that matter) creating their own class with no clearly defined competition at present. Think about it, how many other large engined FWD sports sedans are there right now. The styling is fairly conservative (no big wings or spoilers) so the Evo-WRX-GTR buyers probably wouldn't consider them (not enough attention). Based on what I see coming up on the market I think the RX8 will probably be the biggest competition for the new GTA's. It'll be great, we'll have access to cars designed in the same vein as the BMW M cars, the Audi S cars and MB AMG but far more affordable.

Cheers [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I agree Mike.the 147GTA will be in a very strange market segment i.e no idea who they are aiming at whereas the 156 will be a classic company car in the UK and will compete against the 330 Beamer and others.

I prefer the RX8 as well,hard not to really being rwd and 250bhp for the same cash.

Mind you the S3 sells in the UK,but mainly to strange city types. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , competition , gtathe