ideas to fix bumpy ride - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
ideas to fix bumpy ride

I have the 17" supersports and they are a tad fidgety at speed over a bumpy twisty bit.I reckon its the extra unsprung weight so will prolly benefit from uprated springs.Autodelta do some 25mm sports springs which they reckon will get the tyres down quicker.Any thoughts?

And while I'm at it,best pace for axhaust/induction kit.South East preferable.Ta!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Im also planning to go over to autodelta to get uprated springs since Im having the same problem with my gtv. As for induction kits and exhausts for your 147, Ive been on the evo forum also and theres a guy on there whos got lots of mods done to his 147 at autodelta.
Not sure who else is doing stuff for the 147 yet, seeing thats its so new.

its probably me that you are referring to mate! I've posted several threads in Evo re mods to the 147 but have yet to decide what/when etc.

I don't wanna give up the 17s mate!! But i reckon the car will proably be more sorted with 16s.
Hi! You might want to have a look here as well, a site I came across today. They have some stuff for the 147..
AO Member
Comfort level is quite different between manufacturers - I have good experience with ContiSportContact size 215/45.

Also keep an eye on tire pressure - 2,2 bar is fine, but 2,5 get's very unconfortable.

Lowering the chassis will hardly improve on the bumpiness - and in my experience neither will 16" rims.
Be careful what you do guys. Experience tells me a softer spring is better for bumps, a harder spring will make the car pitch and shimmy as it bounces off each lump and bump. Whereas a softer spring will maintain the vehicles dynamics by absorbing the bumps more, and you definately do not want to lower the car as this will make it more unstable as it will reduce the suspension travel and cause more problems.
You cannot compare your car to a race car. A race car goes around a smooth track, with the same weight distribution. Your car has to go on very different surfaces using the same tyres for wet and dry and you may be fully loaded, empty, have passengers in the front or rear etc.
I do not know of any spring/shock/tyre combination which will work in EVERY situation. It is always a compromise.
I always thought that I was turning into an old fuddy duddy, when I allowed my local Alfa Service Manager to talk me out of the lowering of my 147. But to tell you the truth, I think I am starting to agree now.

What I have come to accept is that there are only 3 brands I would consider for Suspension kits:

Sure you pay more, but I think they will not make teeth-shattering kits, like some japanese brands.

Anyway, I have decided that if I want better induction and sporty ride, I will waut for my 147 GTA to arrive in 2003. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

Re: ideas to fix bumpy ride

The difference in the springs comes from how progesive they are. The tight winding at the one end takes the harshness out. Cheep springs have less tight windings simply to save on the steel and production costs.

But simply if you lower your car by 40mm you going to be gritting your teeth over every bump.

You also have to remeber to loosen and retighten the suspension wishbones with the car sitting on the road to reset the preload on the bushs, or they will ware out even quicker! - (even if you didnt think that was possible)

Spax are also work considerings i have them on two of my cars, very well built easy to adjust, one set has lasted ten years!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bumpy , fix , ideas , ride