Alfa 147 vs. Golf GTi - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
I have just changed form the Golf T to the 147 2ltr.There are lots of reasons to buy the Golf,none of which include "driver involvement". Straight line speed with the extra torque and Turbo shade it for the Golf but only just.However,the chassis is a soggy mess,the Alfa wins that battle easily,the steering feel is non-existent (you have to lean out of the window and listen to the tyres yourself!) so another point for the Alfa,the feel is way sharper as is the turn in (but a small downside is you will need 300 yrds to park at the Supermarket) and last of all the engine.Ok so the VAG 1.8T is in just about everything this side of the Shuttle,but the words "****" and "boring" spring readily to mind.

Life is to short mate.
Sponsored Links
Has anybody done any modifications to their 147's engine like chipping, etc to get better performance? Also will the GTA version be a V6 engine or a turbo charged one?

Could you just confirm a few things:

- Does the Golf GTi have a "loose-feeling gearshift" compared with the 147?

- Does the Golf GTi understeer? And does it suffer from kickback over bumpy rodes?
Founder of AO
County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

The mole is telling me that the Alfa 147 GTA will be a 2.0 TS Turbo with about 220 BHP & that the next generation of the 2.0 TS will have 183 BHP

Time will tell - He usually gets this stuff right, lets hope so
My understanding is that after some spy shots on the Ring earlier this year the popular opinion is the GTA will be a 250bhp V6,not turboed 2!! Niiiiiiiice! Might be a bit heavy though,will sound good though! But there you go,previous thread says a 2!! Who knows!

Imho,the Golf gear change was its weakest link.Way to notchy.A high speed downshift was a nasty affair,particularly 5th to forth.Admittedly some liken the Alfa change to a spoon through custard,but overall its a much better box than the Golf.Its harder to get fast and smooth chages in the Alfa,which is more fun than the Golf imo.In the Golf you could simply plant your right foot straight away.Very boring!In summary,Golf very notchy,Alfa mildly soft but both have a long throw.So Golf imo definately NOT softer than the Alfa,just notchier.
As for the ride,well the Golf and the Alfa suffer from mild fwd understeer,but the Alfa feels a lot more alert thanks to a better balanced chassis,better steering feel and sharper turn in.My Golf improved immensley when I put So2s on it,but the suspension is still regarded as a soggy mess.Lowered sports springs do that car the world of good apparently (I know a guy who has taken a MarkIV to 400bhp !!).

In short,the Alfa is just a much better balanced car and so much more rewarding to drive.I don't advise the 17" Supersports though unless you uprate the springs.Those wheels are just to heavy but they do look the ******! Golf rides better over bumpy ground simply because the suspension is softer and the wheels lighter.Simply very few driver inputs coming back at ya in the Golf-some love it,some hate it.I'm in the latter! 147 walks it as a drivers car imo.

And the P7000s are sh1te in the wet! Eagle F1s the tyre for this car apparently.
Don't worry about the reliability.. Golf is better if you buy an old Golf II or Golf III. Get a new one and you will soon find out that you will get many problems as well (not as many as with polo's though). Many today's european cars are less reliable as they where 10 years ago unfortunately (including French made Toyotas). Ask about the new Renault Clio compared to the previous model.. On the contrary some Italian cars got better (!) Alfas, Puntos.. Buy a Honda if u dont want problems. Buy an Alfa if you want beauty, handling, joy, small problems, its your choice, i had a Peugeot 106 and i got a 147 - handling is my first priority, my 106 saved my life twice and i thank the french mechanics for that, if i had a Polo i know i couldnt have turned..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , golf , gti