Alfa 147 Alternator Advice Needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 15-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 147

Help Alfa 147 Alternator Advice Needed

I have a 2001 (Y reg) Alfa 147 1.6 TS which needs a new alternator (the bearings on the old one are worn out making it sound like a tractor).

The unit is marked as a Bosch 0124 415 015.

When I tried my local motor factor they quoted me over 250 for a Bosch unit which I thought was OTT. I've now contacted a few other parts distributors on the net and have been offered an equivalent part manufactured by Marelli for about 100.

I am assured that the part is a direct equivalent, but need some advice and reassurance before parting with the cash.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nukunonu
Re: Alfa 147 Alternator Advice Needed

First of all are you sure its deinately the alternator thats making your car sound like a tractor? If it sounds bad on startup it could well be the Camshaft variator. This is a very common cause for a twinspark to sound like a diesel.
It mainly happens on startup but can go on to sound rough when running when it gets even more knackered.
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Idea Re: Alfa 147 Alternator Advice Needed

A few months ago, I changed the alternator on my 155 1.8 16v. I remember that the cheapest place to get an alternator was actually the dealers at 90. I remember Bosch was very expensive also. It is probably better, but not 150 better. If you are near a Partco or Unipart Automotive, they could likely get near net prices for a Delco remanufactured unit.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 15-07-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 147

Re: Alfa 147 Alternator Advice Needed

Well, the garage diagnosed the noise as coming from a worn out alternator - and I believed them! Any suggestions on how I can check whether this diagnosis is correct?

Can anyone specify an alternative to the Bosch 0124 415/015 that will definitely fit?
County: Hampshire

Member car:

VX220 Turbo

I too have the same problem and have had it confirmed as the alternator which needs to be replaced.
Literally the day after I bought my 147 GTA it broke down and now I've been quoted 1k to fix it!!!
Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?
AO Member
County: Falkirk

Member car:

Alfa 159 3.2 Q4

Yes, the Marelli alternator will fit. I had exactly the same problem with Son of Ken's 147, i.e. knackered bearing on a Bosch alternator.

I fitted a Marelli alternator from a breaker (25).

It's a bu**er of a job to do though. Front exhaust off, disconnect RH drive shaft, remove intermediate drive shaft, remove LH engine mount, lower engine........etc........
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alternators are two a penny ive probably got 6-10 spare.As previously stated its a time consuming job.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , advice , alfa , alternator , needed