I wonder if any of you kind souls out there can help me sort my air con what with my holiday to France getting ever closer.
Itís an ongoing saga so hereís a potted history. Basically no cold air at all (compressor not engaging). First off checked all fuses and relays Ė all ok. By the way itís the dual climate control system with the silver rotary controls.
1. Took it to Kwik Fit for check & a re-gass just to rule out gas leak.
2. They said it worked for about 2 minutes after re-charge then stopped (i.e. compressor cut out again)
3. My mechanic checked the magnetic clutch by feeding 12v direct Ė all works fine.
4. I thought it must have leaked so I topped it up myself (had to guess the pressure as only getting a standing charge value without compressor working) and fiddled with the connection on the pressure switch Ė nothing! Oh damn!
5. hit the air con button a couple of days later just out of curiosity and lo-and behold itís all working perfectly. Wow Itís fixed Ė wrong! It worked for about 2 weeks but got steadily worse (towards the end compressor kicking in and out all the time then finally not at all).
6. Ah I thought Ė definitely seems like a leak or the pressure switch is faulty so called Air con expert in but guess what? He puts his gauges on and finds good system pressure with no obvious leaks.
7. Checks pressure switch too and that seems fine. Checks electrics - all ok but the pressure switch doesnít seem to be getting 12v so perhaps the problem is with the climate control panel.
8. I read about people having their panels reset on ALFA examiner so I take it to the excellent Paul and Mario at AVANTI AUTOS Ipswich. They plug it in but can find no faults. Hmm. Could be a wiring fault but where?
All other heater functions work fine including air direction so no problem with stepper motors/actuators/flaps etc.
Iím a bit stumped really. I had wondered if something had been left loose when the garage I bought the car from removed a mobile phone cradle I didnít want. They presumably would have had to remove the climate panel and radio as the cradle sat right beside them. I know they had the battery disconnected too.
Is it worth dis-connecting the battery for a while and letting everything re-set? I canít help thinking that the ECU is getting some sort of false pressure reading from somewhere and is not letting the pressure switch engage the compressor. Is that the correct sequence? What sensors/data does the ECU rely on to operate? I know it links in with the engine management ECU too. BTW outside temp sensor on wing mirror is fine too. Could it be as simple as a dodgy connection between climate panel and ECU?
Any ideas would be gratefully received not only by me but also the French public who would not have to witness me driving in only my pants!