156 V6 Front Brake Fault ??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

MG ZS 180

156 V6 Front Brake Fault ???

Hi All,

I have recently fitted all new front discs and pads to my 2000 registered 156 2.5 V6 - only problem is, the pads don't seem to be binding onto the disc correctly!

When they were fitted, the discs were cleaned with brake cleaner, the old pads were removed and I managed to wind the piston back in using a large G-clamp, without letting air into the system (I didn't loosen the bleed nipple). The new pads were fitted, the back of the pads were applied with copper slip and everything seemed normal.

However, after driving to work today, I noticed that there wasn't much bite to the brakes. I had a look at the discs, and it is possible to see that the pads haven't been binding on the disc as normal. The outer section of the disc has been worn in, whilst there is rust on the inner section of the disc, which surely indicates that the pads haven't been binding on the inner radius of the disc!

I am completely confused by this - the brake pedal has normal feel, and I cannot see how air could have got into the system without loosening the bleed nipples on the callipers. So I am pretty sure it's not air in the system. The pads and discs fit correctly - they are the correct size for definate!

If anyone can enlighten me on this, I would very much appreciate it!

Many Thanks!

Alfa Romeo 156 3.0 V6 24v Lusso (2000)

Lancia Delta HF Turbo IE (1991) - Rust In Peace !
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 V6 Front Brake Fault ???

It can take a week of use before the 'feel' of the brakes returns to normal as the pads bed in.It sounds like you did the job properly anyway so give it a few days before you start to worry about it.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

If the pads were working correctly there definitely shouldnt be rust on the disc.

Could be that the piston is stuck in the caliper and not moving freely.
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9JTD

I had the same issue with the Black Diamond discs and standard pads that I fitted to my v6. For the first week of driving they were pretty bad with excessive pedal pressure required, despite bleeding the entire system. After the protective coating had worn off they are starting to get a lot better.
The issue you have with the pads not contacting the inner portion of the disc is worrying. I would be tempted to check and double check both front brakes. It could turn out you have the wrong pads. When I ordered my new, standard pads from BMS I was told there were two different types, so I ended up taking in the old ones to the shop, just to compare.

On a different note I used to have an Alfetta GTV Strada. When I changed the pads on that I noticed that the caliper piston had a step on it. Correctly positioned, it is designed that the leading edge of the pad contacts the disc with the most force.
AO Gold Member

Are the pads jamming in the calipers?
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

A pic of the disc would help ... the pad doesn't cover the whole disc face so there is an area towards the centre that wouldn't be touched.

Also if you brake hard too early in the life of new pads they "glaze over" and get a hardened surface meaning the braking is poor. The glaze can usually be scrubbed off with a rough file or rasp. BUT ... if they are performance pads, there is a special way to bed them in which DOES need hard braking .. instructions usually come with the pads.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , brake , fault , front