156 Brakes issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9JTD

156 Brakes issue

I have just replaced the front and rear discs, the front being Black Diamond drilled items. I have used new, standard pads all round, stripped and cleaned/re-greased the calipers. They are like new.

Having bled the entire system I still feel that a worrying amount of pedal pressure is required to stop the car.
I am aware that new discs and pads require a bedding in period but they should not be as bad as this.
I have pushed the brake pedal to do an emergency stop but could not even lock the wheels.

Is this a common fault on the 156 or have I done something wrong.
I can't help thinking that the master cylinder bore i not matched to the caliper bore, thereby requiring high pedal pressure. Or maybe the servo is under performing.
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Re: 156 Brakes issue

Did ther same to my 147 2 weeks ago it takes about 200 miles to feel safe .
Take a spare pair of pants on journeys
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Pads do take time to bed in and do take a good few hard stops before they work well - you may just need to keep using them for a few days and see how you get on.

I have found the front standard Alfa pads to be very poor and am just about to order another set of Ferodo DS pads for my V6 as it is really scary at the moment especially as the Brembos on my other V6 are fantastic.

You could also try removing the front pads and give them a rub with emery paper in case they have got any contamination or glazing

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Platinum Member

The type of discs that have a coating to stop them corroding in storage take longer to bed-in because until that coating wears off they will not work properly.

Black Diamond have that type of coating, as do EBC discs.

I prefer discs that just come with a coating of grease. clean that off before fitting and they work 100% straight away.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , brakes , issue