Engine Management Nightmares - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Engine Management Nightmares

I keep having the "engine management" light illuminating on my dashboard. I have been to the nearest Alfa garage (Eric Ashmole in Swansea) several times — at least four — and they are just messing me around. They keep simply resetting the system and telling me to come back if it comes back on. However when I come back they tell me the same thing again.

I won't be going up there again. There apparent incompetence is costing me a lot of time and money (I have to travel a long way to reach them).

This engine management light turns on, and will often turn itself back off again. I have already replaced two lambda probes and that didn't seem to work. The only other possibility they gave me was the air flow filter.

I think I’ve asked this question before but I really want to get to the bottom of this. Has anyone had a similar problem with the engine management light — with it turning on and off randomly? If so how did you repair it?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim
Re: Engine Management Nightmares

best thing to do is find a proper ALFA indy, or a member on here who has a code reader and go visit to get the codes read properly.

in the mean time check your air intake pipes are properly sealed up, no holes or lose hosing .

if it is driving 100% it could be nothing at all,but if it keeps coming on then best to get checked
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Did they not READ the codes before they reset them? That would have told them what it was.

I had a look back on you other posts and the only one you quote is Z50 ... all error codes start with a P, so they are really leading you up the garden path ...

What year and engine size is the 147? If it's post 2001, any good autoelectrician or garage probably has a diagnostic system that can read it as it will be EODB ... unless it's a diesel, then you're in the hands of Alfa unless it's post-2004 ....

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

hi, im yichen,, i work in australia, u need to get back to the shop and ask them to print the errors report from the examiner to know exactly whats going on in u car, the most comun problem its oxy sensors, but u said its been done, what kind of 147 its u car? TS? sellespeed? manual? i am mechanic wotking with alfa.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 Lusso

I had a similar problem with my 156. I bought myself a code reader for about £30 off ebay. I read the codes and reset them. So far the light hasn't come back on! I don't quite know why, but I don't really mind.
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS 2.0

Looking back does your light only come on ~ 5 miles into the journey from cold ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , management , nightmares