Electrical Gremlins - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Electrical Gremlins

Ok, I have a 147 2.0 on a 53 plate. Lusso trim so its heated seats, climate control etc. I bought it back in january, no problems, last month I started getting fairly random VDC and ABS errors which were gradually getting worse so I changed the battery (original one was still in). Now I'm getting a far worse problem, if I try to start the car with any electrical items on (radio, air con, lights) it won't start and if I select reverse with anything on it kills the electrics and stalls the engine.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow when the weather drys up to make sure nothing has come loose since I changed the battery and that the earth connections are in good nick. The local motorfactor sorted me out with a heavy duty battery when I got it, 600amp cold crank so that shouldnt really be the problem. Any ideas or suggestions about what else it could be?
Sponsored Links
Re: Electrical Gremlins

Right, went out this morning in a brief dry period. Checked the battery was tight and tidy, had a check of the fuses too, one seemed a little loose so I popped it in fully. Loaded up the electrics and started her with no problems. Hopefully that was it, should know when I hit a hot\freezing day and the air con is draining more.
AO Member

I've had almost identical problems, and it's been getting unstartable recently.

The AA gave it a good look. Tried a new battery, but it made no difference.

Put it into reverse, or press the brake pedal, and all the electrics die for a few seconds - killing the engine unsurpringly.

Removing the fuses for the brake & reversing lights and I managed to get it round the block.

Perhaps I should drive straight to an auto-electrician, but not far without brake lights.

Are you still having the problem?
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Has the replacement battery cleared up your original VDC/ABS problems?

Mine has only cropped up once and its not as severe at the moment. All I got was a message telling me all my sidelights had failed when they clearly had not last week. Nothing since, especially the electrics dying on braking or selecting reverse. I suspect a loose connection somewhere or dampness getting into something.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

electrical , gremlins