Problems unlocking/opening boot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-06-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9 JTD

Problems unlocking/opening boot

We've started having a problem opening the boot of my wifes 147 1.9 JTD. When we either use the fob or the internal button, we hear a noise from the boot, but it doesn't unlock.

If I climb over the seats, I can manually open the boot by moving a small lever on the catch. If I use the keyfob when the boot is open, I see the small lever move about halfway, but doesn't go far enough to release the catch. Is there a small battery that may need charging, or would it just need oiling? I've tried oiling the lever but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I've also taken 4 screws out of the boot door in an attempt to remove the panel, but couldn't get it off. It seems the 2 indented handles were preventing it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Re: Problems unlocking/opening boot

Ive seen three of these on here recently, and my own has failed.

The problem, the electrical bit is broken. I cant get the unit open to have a nose so the fix, buy a whole new catch for about £40 from a dealer.

You should find the keyhole behind the badge on the boot still works if you have one.

To get the rear panel off, remove the four screws and then pry the cover off, its held on by some little white clips which pop out. Mine comes on and off without incident but some will tell you to stick a long flat driver in and use it as a really gentle pry bar right alongside the clips to mitigate the risk of breaking them.

While its off, I would suggest putting a dob of glue on your washer feed hose, as it will almost certainly fall off soon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boot , problems , unlocking or opening