high mileage 156 2.5 v6 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: high mileage 156 2.5 v6

Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Got mine at 70,000 and it had had cambelt and clutch done, but needs pretty much every suspension component replacing some time soon
I got my Fiat at 72,000 miles and it is also at its "mid life crisis". I have done Cambelt, both wishbones, strut top mounts, rear brake discs and pads.
On top of that the steering rack is starting to show signs of wear, the radiator has seen better days, although the clutch seems ok for now.

Its not just Alfa's at that mileage.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

If it's any help, my mate has one with 140 000 miles, no problem.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Generally the 2.5 v6 engine is fairly solid and bombproof if its been cared for , 100,000 miles shouldnt be too bad as long as there is a substantial service history and regular oil changes . A compression test would be ideal , but i doubt anyone would allow you to dismantle it to test it. Seeing as the cambelt and water pump have been recently done , and it sounds like a v6 should do with no rattles from under the bonnet , i dont see a problem. On the test drive make sure you test the clutch out thoroughly. Also i have heard of water leaks inside the car due to poor welding at manufacture , personally mine is totally dry and i have yet to see one that is wet, but worth checking the carpets in the footwells for signs of damp. Other than that they are a superb car , mines also got the sportpack 3 and they drive and handle excellently, and as for the v6 sound , theres nothing else like it. Good luck with whatever you do

At 10,000 rpm , no one can hear you scream.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

the v6 engine can last the mileage, make sure its been serviced.

Any alfa will/can bring its own headaches, its just status quo.

Cars are not selling at all at the mo, and haven't been for a good few months, to move a car quick you almost have to give them away.
I wouldn't worry about it having not sold for a few weeks.

See if theres any history and if the rear plugs were changed, often they aren't as they're not easy to get to.
AO Member

That car was on ebay over 5-6 weeks ago

It has been looked at by a number of alfa enthusiasts,i know of 3 that have enquired about that car.

Smaky on the forum did speak to him and he had reasons to be concerned.

If he keeps dropping the price and it's been for sale for a while,it means that it needs money spent on it otherwise it would have gone by now.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

hey twoscoops i bought a 98 2.5 v6 with well over 100,000 on the clock its a good price but for that i susspect there will be a few problems i had quit a few, needed new slave cylinder new clutch two new susspension arms an had problems with injector relays but the engine runs like a dream, good look
(Post Link) post #32 of 32 Old 11-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

yeah i would be expecting a few problems but i dont want to buy a motor thats just going to bleed me completely dry Its good to know that the mileage isnt anything thats necessarily to be worried about!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , high , mileage