156 - rear shocks & noises - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 06-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 - rear shocks & noises

Here's another little 156 gem. Anyone had mysterious rattles from the top of the rear suspension? I think I may have posted this one before but if not, here's the gory detail.

On my 2001 car I discovered it was built from new by AR with the Boge Nivomat self levelling rear shock absorbers. With the interior wheel arch trims removed from the boot area and then bouncing the car up and down, very visible movement (and the clicking/rattling noise) was evident between the top of the LH damper and the top mounting. OK, so just fit new parts......er, no ! On disassembly of the rear suspension it was quickly obvious that the LH and RH upper mounts were DIFFERENT (LH mount for standard suspension, the RH mount correct for Boge Nivomat - they have different vertical thicknesses). It seems the car had been built that way from new by AR.

The upper damper mountings are not available separately for cars with the Nivomat rear suspension. Also the dampers are not available without the coil springs pre-installed. No folks, you have to buy a complete new assembly - damper, spring, and upper mount all together at a ++++ price from AR. Actually it's worse, as shocks should be replaced in pairs so it's double that cost. A bit steep for what was essentially a mismatched pair of upper mounts and a knackered bush.

I converted the car to standard rear shocks (both AR original new) with new upper mounts. I also installed Eibach Pro Kit springs all round, the resulting ride height being just 5mm lower than standard Veloce spec - I carefully measured before & after. I didn't want a lowered car - the Veloce spec with sportpack is already lowered, so the final effect was perfect.

We love all this don't we !

So noises gone, but what a palaver !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: 156 - rear shocks & noises

Originally Posted by alfisticuffs View Post
It seems the car had been built that way from new by AR.
thats the problem with using people instead of robots, people really dont give a toss.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , noises , rear , shocks