Another wet pass footwell!?!? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Another wet pass footwell!?!?

Apologies for he long post, but you can never have too much information.

I hoovered the car last week and noticed very wet passenger footwell carpet under my rubber mat which was concealing the problem nicely.

Anyway, I removed the plastic sill cover, the passenger seat, the cladding underneath the fan, pulled up the carpet and ripped out the greenish insulation. There was also wet insulation in the rear near-side footwell. It all stank!

I first found a displaced 2 inch grommet above the inertia switch with traces of water on the inside and so put that back. Yesterday I ran the air con for about one hour with no drips inside the car, but plenty underneath the car, just forward of the bulkhead. Good, so it's none of those.

This morning...puddles in footwell. It was raining and the drips were coming off the bottom of the fan housing only! I looked under the bonnet and could see no puddles over drain holes. Upon driving (and perhaps because some of it was uphill), water started to make its way along the outer edge of the footwell, along the sill.

To me it sounds like windscreen, but could it also be something amiss elsewhere.

Any suggestions welcome.

RIP 147 1.6 Lusso
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Another wet pass footwell!?!?

I had a somilar problem with my 147 and was told it was something to do with the Air-Con. The garage fixed it under warrenty and never had any trouble after that.

Speak to your garage.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 04-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Another wet pass footwell!?!?

Spent a couple of hours last night dis-assembling rubbers and valences on the exterior of the car on the passenger side.

Found that a black plastic shield that sits above the intake to the fan was not fitted in one of its two mounting slots that may have allowed water to ingress, particualrly when the car is stationary.

Cleaned the area and refitted...

Of course, today there is glorious sunshine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

footwell , pass , wet