156 2.5 v6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 146ti

Help 156 2.5 v6

i have been offered a 2000 156 2.5 v6 with a sportronic gearbox, its on piston heads for £1800 (green met from stoke) is there any problems with them that i should know. I will be test driving it soon so any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Shropshire
Re: 156 2.5 v6

Hi Jim - search any of my threads I posted about Jinxy when the engine blew etc, you'll soon see the full horror story!
AO Member
County: -

I have one of these that I bought last year.

Look for:
i) Suspension knocks and squeaks. Mine got to 70k before it needed front end work, and is expensive to rectify. I did it myself for £300, but this is a long task! Parts are reasonable but it all takes a load of time.
ii) Bent sills - people jack em up in the wrong place when they get flat tires. Bends them horribly! Get on your knees and look at the sills and floor pans!
iii) Rust. Yes, rust. The car has a foam underseal like stuff on it that makes the car look mint and fools people into thinking corrosion is not a problem. But..... the foam underseal gets loose, water gets underneath, and the rust can be scary! "But 156s don't rust". This is said by people who don't get under their cars! Check the wheel archs and underneath for the brown stuff! 156s fail MOTs on this.
iv) Bad/inconsistent tire wear - means something is wrong!
v) Oil level. All Alfa owners know how much their cars use, if the seller of yours says "none", or doesn't know, walk away! The V6 is the least offender it seems, but you will still be checking the dipstick and topping it up at set intervals. It is not leaking or burning it, it is meant to use some!
vi) Consistent power delivery - the V6 is smooth, with no stutters or steps as you cain it. Anything wierd here is expensive - MAF sensors are over £150 if you need one.
vii) Cambelt cambelt cambelt! These engines are very reliable if the belts are done on time and properly. The car may have the self-destruct waterpump fitted - make sure the metal version is fitted as a replacement. Loads of V6s I looked at had an invoice in the paperwork for overheading or head work where the pump had failed or the belt snapped. The belt is gonna cost nearly a grand to do properly, and if you are thinking "go to those blokes who do it for £450" then this car is not for you! The people had seen theirs snap said stuff like "I thought it would be alright", or "I didn't want to spend the money".

Hope this helps! I started out wanting one with the leather and big wings, but hated the feel of the seats and ended up getting a nice velour interior instead without the wings and body kit!

Get one, you'll love it, and the pain of 22mpg soon goes away...

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 146ti

Cry Like A Baby Re: 156 2.5 v6

Thanks for the info, im a bit scared now.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

compared to a 146 ti it'll seem well built and reliable.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

Has it got the sport pack on it? the non sportpacked V6's don't handle all that well as the suspension is too soft, and the engine is quite heavy.

I've had my '99 v6 sp3 q-system (sportronic on the v5) for nearly 3 years now, so far the only things required out of the ordinary has been a new battery, radiator and thermostat, the two upright panels under the front wings that the undertray should be bolted to the bottom of and occasionally the airbag light (alfa diag fix,paid for itself a long time ago). All these are common faults and easy to do. I did have to pay to have the rusty roof repaired and sprayed two years ago

I've just replaced the handbrake cables (at £8 each) a month ago before the MOT but they wouldn't have been a failure anyway.The car has gone through the MOT first time every time so far.

Exhaust and tyres have been done once each and that's it apart from servicing. Timing belt is due again early next year. In fact it's a bit too reliable for me as I like to tinker and may well go back to a sixties car again. I have a renault dauphine on the go but it's still a year off finishing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT