New owner problems! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
New owner problems!

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me? I have just bought a alfa 156 1.8ts 1999 and car is great, only couple little things not working and one of them being the cigarette lighter.
Ive tried looking for the fusebox to check the fuse but cant find it anywhere, I did however remove a little panel in glovebox and could see a fuse there but I am unable to get at it without removing the whole glovebox.
secondly where do I purchase a workshop manual for it as my local store doesnt do them, and as an afterthought do the cars come with coffee cup holders and heated seats (That last bit was a question from my missus)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Etela-Suomen Laani

Member car:

159 1.9 JTS

Re: New owner problems!

Hi there, if you carefully remove the panel left under your steering wheel, you may see some more fuses. I have a left continental wheel, but I drove some recht-handed ones as well;-)

There are some UK download sites with (English;-)) user manuals. I probably cannot write the names down here, but send me an email if you need more info.

I owned several 1999 and beyond models and cannot remember any seat heating, unless some special leather seats models. They were equipped with pre-installed seat heating, but I am not sure they were available on the UK market.

I have seen cup holders which are 'click-ins' to the air flows. The idea behind it that if you switch on the airco, your drink will stay fresh;-) or you should go for a frozen espresso:-)

On old trick with the cigarette lighter is if you test one of a colleague Alfa driver first. Sometimes it is only the lighter, sometimes it is the heating device (most probably damaged by re-charging ipods or mobiles).

good luck,
happy driving!
County: Wiltshire

The fuse box is to the right of the steering column behind the cliped on panel with a coin holder in it, just grab and pull and it comes off, also there is the OBD connector in there too, on the back of the panel there should be a sticker which will tell you which fuse is which (or consult the manual), but you have tried the cig lighter with the ignition in MAR haven't you???
AO Gold Member
County: West Yorkshire

Be careful pulling it off, the 156 fuse dash is renowned for not fitting back properly, & then keeps dropping down when you go over a bump
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 30-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks all, pulled it off and hey presto theres the blown cigarette lighter fuse.
still dont illuminate when lights come on but at least it works and daughter can watch dvd in car lol

I was going to suggest that this was a good opportunity to a) give up smoking b) change the missus for an Italian model...but I am just joking of course (and i made sure i am a long way away as well )

Hope you like your 156..just remember the mantras. Check the oil every week without fail, change the cambelt and tensioner every 36,000 miles without fail...Amen.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

owner , problems