Which brake pads/brake fluid? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Which brake pads/brake fluid?

I need to replace my rear brake pads (I am actually gonna do it myself!), and was wondering whether I should go for the original ones (Magneti Marelli) or some other brand?

Alfaworkshop has the original ones for £41.58 (inc p&p), but I also found http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/cart/default.asp £16.47 (inc p&p). I also tried to get some from Halfords (Ferodo) but could not find the ones for my bella.

Finally, with regards to brake fluid, I know the specification is DOT4, but what brand should I go for? Would Halfords be ok?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Re: Which brake pads/brake fluid?

Any DOT 4 or 5.1 will be fine. Don't forget you'll need a wind back tool as well for the rear brakes.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

If you tend to brake hard from speed, then go for Castrol Performance brake fluid. Expensive, but doesn't "boil" ... be sure to bleed all the old fluid out though as it doesn't mix well with the older lower grade. And you downgrade you fluid to DOT 4 as well.

If you poodle around town and are gentle on the brakes, then Hallfords own will be OK, but I tend to go for a "brand" name rather than the generic stuff ... having said that Halfords have a reputation to uphold so they probably get theirs from somewhere like Ferodo or Castrol, etc.

As for pads, I've read somewhere EBC pads can be noisy (speaky!). I got mine from buypartsby and they are fine .. heavy braking sometimes! I think they tend to supply Mintex know who are a reputable brand. Their discs are keenly priced too. If you are thinking about the rears watch the parts ... there are two types fitted to older and newer models and they aren't interchangeable. One the 156 the older style, smaller disc, had ribs on the calliper body, the newer larger discs have the smooth caliper body. Not 100% sure about the 147.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
County: Queensland

I've just put TRW Lucas on the back of mine. Pretty sure they're OEM fitment on the 147. As a street pad they're probably the best value out there. When I do the fronts I might go for DS2500s, but once again these really only come into their own during hard driving - 90% of the time they won't perform as well as the TRWs due to the fact you need a bit of temp in them. Don't forget the rears don't really necessitate an absolutely premium pad, especially if it's only driven on the street.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , fluid , pads or brake