147 Bearing Shells - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-05-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

147 Bearing Shells

Right my 147 1.6 went into the garage with a low oil pressire warning. Worn big end bearing shells apparently. The problem however is that the engine has a non standard crank shaft so the standard shells are too big.

The required ones have apparently had to be back ordered from Italy and it's been a week and half so far. Does anyone have any idea how long this might take, or alternatively a suggestion as to another source for the parts?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Re: 147 Bearing Shells

Alfa don't make the bearings so there is no reason thay have to come from Italy. Any bearing supplier should be able to get them off the shelf. Try the yellow pages. Glacier Vanderville are one make that springs to mind.

Some parts I had on back order took five or six weeks but that was a couple of years ago: it might be better now. Having said that, back-ordered parts have always been problematic.

Not good news - hope you get it fixed soon.

BTW, why do you have an undersize crankshaft? Has it already been reground once and if so, is it possible that the job was not done properly causing the shells to fail too soon. Three sets of shell bearings is a lot bearing in mind that the 147 has not been around all that long.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray

Hmm my thoughts too, have built a 1.6 crank myself and it was quite a job getting the right shels as the crank was off a euro three engine , so my advice is make sure you scource the right one assuming the engine code is right,thankfully the crank was standard but still got them through alfa as all other suppliers could not source them.It does seem strange they are not standard , it must have had a regrind at some time.Also you have to go by the colour coding on them if they are marked thus.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , bearing , shells