Airbag warning light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Airbag warning light

I have spent an hour trawling this site for some answers and have given up. Please forgive me for re-posting about the same fault, but I could do with some advice.

The airbag warning light on my 05 GT JTS came on this morning and will not go off.

I understand that this may be somthing to do with bad connections under the seat. My car has been used by just two people until this week when three of us have been going to the hospital to visit a relative. as a result, the seats have been disturbed and people have been in the back. Funny how the warning light comes on after this non characteristic use....

So here are the questions.

Can this problem be fixed without going near an AR dealer?

Will messing with the connectors under the seat (rip out and solder or just clean and replace) fix it?

Irrespective of what I do, will I still need the cars computers reset?

What are the implications of disconnecting the battery or not? Possibility of air bags going off etc? If I do disconnect the battery, does this have further implications for radio codes etc?

Has anybody actually fixed this problem themselves?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: Airbag warning light

Disconnecting battery will not set off the airbags, but the fault will be still there in the airbag ecu. Your radio has to be reset after recoonecting battery, so make sure you have the code ! resetting the light will need the Examiner at the AR dealer. In some cases reset is not possible and the crash sensor needs replacing with a new one (200 UKP !).
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

This seems to be a pretty common issue with the GT
It's usually caused by moving the driver's seat (as you said, this is where the connector is) whilst the ignition is on.
When this originally happened to me, I watched the dealer, and all he did was clean the connector, and use a tie wrap to ensure that it didn't move as much (this is the 'official' fix it seems)
My warning light has come on a couple of times since, but fiddling with the connector under the seat with the ignition off has always fixed it. Check the connector isn't hanging down loose. It should be fastened to the rail under the seat.
AO Silver Member

Yep, this happened to my GT too. I took it to a dealer who applied the "tie wrap" fix that Zulu mentioned above, plus reset the computer to remove the warning light from the dash. This would have cost me around £60 I think, but I'd only had the car a week so they did it for free.

Originally Posted by zulu View Post
with the connector under the seat with the ignition off has always fixed it. Check the connector isn't hanging down loose. It should be fastened to the rail under the seat.
Went out at lunch time. same problem. Turned off the ignition, groped about under both seats and found that the plastic thingie that holds the plugs to the seat was flapping in the wind on the passenger side. (mother in law must be a bit ham fisted with the seat slide). Sorted it all out and squeezed the plugs up on both seats and bu**er me, the light went out the next time I started the car!!!

What do readers think about changing the plugs for better ones? I have some very good plugs on my COBRA that have been in place for 20 years without fail.

I don't think I am too keen on soldering them up, although I appreciate that this is the ultimate hard fix.

I used to work in the automotive seat industry and we regularly reverse engineered competitors seats to see what made them tick. The guy that did it never disconnected a battery when removeing air bags as most of the vehicles were hired and we did not have the battery codes. An air bag never went off in 5 years!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

airbag , light , warning