147 water in door pocket - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

147 water in door pocket

Hi Chaps,

Some time ago a lorry decided to remodel the side of my 147, and it had a new driver's door.

Since then I've found that I get water in the door pocket, and anything left in there gets quite wet.

It went back to the original repairer twice, and while they had it they crashed the car, so after that I asked the insurance company to let me take it somewhere else. (Bayliss in Gloucester - Absolutely awful place, never go there!)

It's been to Jones and Bramley [1] in Newport twice, and a third time this morning, where I got involved, and I think we've finally sorted it!

They took the door panel off, and I sat inside whilst they sprayed it with a hose, but still couldn't find the leak. Then I had a bright idea.

I learnt this from photography at school, using a pot to develop film. If the thread for the lid was dry, then the pot wouldn't leak, but if there was the tiniest bit of water on the thread when you screwed the lid on, then it would act as a path for the water, and it would leak.

This, I realised must be what was happening with the outer rubber seal against the window. If the window was opened, then it would wet the inside of the seal, and water would then start flowing. Note though, water is 'allowed' to pass through this seal, doors are designed to let the water out near the bottom on the outside of the car.

When I said this, the guy simply took the rubber seal off altogether.

Then, almost instantly, when he sprayed water on the door, I could see where the leak was.

It was caused by the speaker not being fitted properly.

The speaker fits into a large round hole, and has a seal built in. BUT, it also had a lug (?) below the seal that fits into a small hole in the door. This lug should punch a hole in the door membrane, but it hadn't, and had missed the hole, so the speaker wasn't flush to the door. So water was simply running off the back of the speaker, onto the inside of the door membrane, and filling the door pocket.

Just thought I'd share it, in case it helps anyone else out.

[1] Jones and Bramley in Newport are a body shop, and have also repaired the front of my car where someone ran into it, and I think have done an excellent job. I would highly recommend them. The bonnet now fits better than the original one did!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , door , pocket , water