Another 156 with knocking front suspension... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

'97 spider 2.0TS

Another 156 with knocking front suspension...

While driving yesterday, my 156 suddenly developed a loud knocking noise which seemed to come through floor under my feet when going around small roundabouts/tight bends. Having done a search, looks like it could be worn cv joints.
So today I jacked up the front of the car and supported on axle stands and removed both front wheels. There were no splits in any of the cv boots but I did notice there was about 2-3mm of play in both driveshafts along their axis (i.e inboard to outboard) but no rotational play/backlash in either.
So my question is whether this is normal or indeed a telltale sign of worn cv joints? (if so. it'll mean replacing all four of them as they all had this lateral play!!)
I also used a small crowbar to see if there was any wear in any of the suspension bushes etc.
I did notice that the suspension strut fork bolts could twist within the bushes of the lower wishbones slightly when just using my hand to turn the strut.
Again should I be able to do this or should everything be solid with absolutely no give in the bushes whatsoever?
There didn't appear to be any play in any of the balljoints/droplinks however, and I have not been aware of any 'creaking' coming from front suspension. Car has done 65000 miles btw...Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: Another 156 with knocking front suspension...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , front , knocking , suspension