broken key in door!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-04-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156

broken key in door!!

Hi all
This is my first post so hello all
Problem is i've broken my key in the door and can't get it out.any sugestions
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Re: broken key in door!!

Hi, well it's a bit of a dilemma whichever way you look at it........ If theres any of the broken bit protruding from thr lock then a pair of needle point micro pliers, the type used by elctronics technicians might grip it enough to pull out..........You can get them for a few pounds at Maplins or RS Components........

If the kety is right inside...........a thin piece of welding rod. File the end dead flat. and a tiny bit of superglue on the end, use the "gel" type.........then pull it out...........superglue has enormous strength provided you pull it straight .......... I've done this successfully with a broken key in a motorcycle lock........... Just make sure that you hold it steady when it's setting 45 seconds or so, and pull straight..........The other important thing is. Use only the tiniest emount on the end of the rod, otherwise you'll stick it to the inside of the lock.......... then you'll have a key and a welding rod in the lock......

The only other option is to take the lock out of the door......door panel off and other than it being a "right mission" it's fairly straightforward.......Then you should be able to puch the ket out........I'm not sure if the end of the key will be accessable from the inside end of the barrel or not......but if it isn't then a small hole drilled carfully from the reverse side of the lock should allow you to push the ky out......... Not much to lose in trying this.........cos if the key doesn't come out you are into a new lock set..........

Hope some of this helps..........

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Re: broken key in door!!

Hi welcome to AO. Hope you get your key fixed up.

Moved to 156 lounge

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

broken , door , key