156 advice please, overheating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-04-08 Thread Starter
156 advice please, overheating

156 2.0 TS S/W 86k miles. My engine has been overheating and using up coolant, ( refill maybe every 6 weeks or so). The rad fan is not coming on and the Thermostat would appear to be stuck open, when open road driving the engine never heats up past the end stop 50 degrees, but quickly heads over 90 deg. in traffic. I usually run the heater fan at high temp to bring it down temporarily. From these forums I feel that the rad fan resisitors needed replacing and I visited my local main dealer recently for a diagnosis and a repair. They confirmed the resistor issue and also that the fan relay was shot, Quote approx 22.00 for relay and 12.00 for resistor plus labour at 75.00 per hour. They ordered tha parts and these will take a couple of days to arrive. I asked them to pressure test the system re the coolant level as I also though that maybe the rad was leaking. The pressure test did not show up any leaks, but they asked me to leave the car in when getting the relay and resistor fitted as it might be a head gasket problem which would require a cold engine pressure test. I am worried about the cost of a head gasket replacement as this is major engine surgery. I had my secong timing belt, tensioners and, variator etc. fitted last sept by the same garage. how big a job is this and is it likely to be expensive? BTW, I am based in Rep of Ireland... thanks in advance.... D
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: 156 advice please, overheating

head gasket job is pretty big because you need to take the head off, it wont be cheap. fingers crossed the leak is elsewhere. a 6 week leak is very small, so very difficult to find. they should pressurise the system and leave it for a few hours. that will make the leak much easier to find because there should be at least one drip on the floor if it isnt the head gasket.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-04-08 Thread Starter
Re: 156 advice please, overheating

thanks jug. There is a small staiing on the engine under guard, nothing major, The mechanic did say it could/might be a leaking seal on the coolant inlet manifold pipe. here's hoping... fingers crossed indeed. ta again.... D

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , advice , overheating