clutch slipping.. and re-biting!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kildare
clutch slipping.. and re-biting!!

Afternoon all!
I noticed about 3 weeks ago that the clutch in my 156 1.9 mjet started slipping in 4th and fifth when I dropped the boot to overtake... going from about 2500 revs.

So I did what anyone would and went to alfa dealer for new clutch, assuming I was on borrowed time and the clutch was worn out.

Thing is, the Alfa dealer said the clutch was fine and he couldn't make it slip!! Its not any worse now and I've put about 1200 miles on the car since. I commute in it every day. It still slips the same. It's no worse and no better?!!?

I would have thought, if the clutch was burning out it would be gone by now, and if not, it would be a hell of a lot worse with each day.

One other point is that when it starts to slip it the revs will jump about 500 to 700 rpm but then it bits again. Any suggestions? Is there an adjustment on these clutches that's not self adjusting?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: clutch slipping.. and re-biting!!

your situation isnt unusual, especially on remapped JTDs. the only solution is to replace the clutch.
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

This is normal, jtd clutch shows first signs way before it goes critcal. however with the risk of damage to the dual mass flywheel, dont wait to long otherwise the bill will be much bigger!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kildare

A quick update on the clutch..

I had the car re-mapped last week which made the clutch slip even more... as expected so I rang the Alfa stealers in Port Laoise. I told them i needed a new clutch. When started quizzing me as to why I thought so!!!
I explained the problem and they asked "Is is slipping when you try to take off?" I said no. They said my clutch was fine!!!

Anyway I took it to Bohernabreena Motors in Tallaght and George there was A1. He has 33 years experience and Fitted the new clutch within 24 hours!! Its like a new car to drive now. I have to say that George was a gentelman and I would recommend him endlessly. The job cost 780 which I thought was fair enough. He also spent time examining the gear oll for signs of wear in the box and checked out the flywheel etc which I don't think the alfa stealers whould have even looked at.

Anyway, I though a good experience should be shared so there's my "quick update"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , rebiting , slipping