No Longer an AlfaOwner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
No Longer an AlfaOwner

said goodbye to my GT Friday, a sad day for me

I bought the car to cut down on my day to day costs after getting hacked off with the High cost of ownership of my 147GTA versus the performance it offered, after a series of high performing petrols I never expected much from the GT, I bought it purely because it would be cheap on the daily commute and because it looked good even though it was a diesel.

My first few days in the GT were a little disappointing if I'm honest, it just didn't have the pace of the GTA which I knew would be the case anyway but the 100bhp deficit was really noticeable due to the power drop off after 3k, it didn't take me long to get it remapped, that changed it all for me, this simple software update made the car feel more petrol like, revving to the redline with ease and no real drop off in torque through its useful range and made the car much more enjoyable, OK still not GTA but it felt quick and thats a big part of the driving experience for me.

The car handled well but a little soft at the rear, there was more roll than I'd like and fair nose dive under braking, criticisms that I could also lay on the old GTA, some bits on the GTA were improved by a thicker rear bar but it needed a more extensive job really to make the car handle well, for the GT I decided to go the whole hog rather than half measures and do a proper suspension upgrade, I had booked a track day with the Fiat Coupe club when I had my GTA and thought that despite the fact I now had a diesel I could probably still enjoy a track day in it so why not go in the GT.

That first track day in my GT really opened my eyes, where I thought I'd be getting overtaken every second I found myself passing all sorts, Fiat Coupes, GTis, Type Rs, I was bloody beaming from ear to ear, all this from a simple suspension upgrade and a remap, the GT was flying around the track, it was superb, people were coming up to me asking questions about the Alfa as it was performing so well, their faces when I told them it was a diesel were a picture, if only I had a camera, guys were going back to their cars checking boost pressure etc. Great stuff, especially when you consider I'd only had the car a month or two and done a few k in it so it was still quite new to me

From then on I was a happy man, even found myself booking more and more trackdays, just because it was a diesel didn't mean I couldn't enjoy it, time and time again I found the car performing well above what its on paper power and weight would suggest, its only really downside on the track was that it lack any sort of pace beyond 120mph, so on the bigger track with high speed straights I'd get left behind by most decent cars, but still all this in a car that would do 50mpg if I wanted it to, I've never been happier with a car ever, such a great allrounder, looks good, goes well, it didn't even sound too bad and cost about the same as a 1.2 punto to run.

Unfortunately the missus wanted a more practical motor (baby on the way and missus planning for more ) and as the GT was due some rather large TLC over the next year or so (72k, suspension overhaul, tyres, clutch, brakes overhaul) made sense that th GT was used to fund the new baby carrier, I would have liked to stick with the brand as my Alfa ownership has proved to be completely positive but the new cars aren't my cup of tea, do nothing more than disappoint me but who knows in the future I could well be back, I'll probably be looking at a new little runaround next year, the Mito might fit the bill if it looks and goes well, I could even look at another GT, though I've done almost 6 years behind that dashboard, I think I'll be looking for a change of scenery.

Met some good people on this forum, some real enthusiasts and enjoyed the odd trackday with a few on here, the AO forum has added to the experience for sure, I'll no doubt bump into some of you again at a trackday or something like that, but for now, this is me signing off.

(OK, I'll probably pop back in from time to time as I'm nosey )

Last edited by sandys; 14-04-08 at 11:38.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: No Longer and AlfaOwner

Cheerio chap, pop in as you say, for a nose and a chat:
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: No Longer and AlfaOwner

Good luck with the baby and all mate

Stick around AO
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
Re: No Longer an AlfaOwner

Good luck with the family and everything else Sandy.

Just remember you don't have to own an Alfa to join in on AO. Please stick around.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfaowner , longer