Exhaust Issues 156 2.5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5

Exhaust Issues 156 2.5

Car failed it's MOT today, nothing that can't be sorted in a morning except for the exhaust.

The centre pipe has a hole in, fair enough will just weld up or get another.

But they also failed it for leaking gases from the 'Front exhaust section' I'm hoping it is a down pipe or something and not the manifolds, if it is the manifolds anyone got any tips for dealing with this rather snug area of the engine bay?

It also failed all emission tests which I'm hoping is down to the leaky exhaust, can anyone advise if this would be the cause?

Oh and how do you adjust the headlight direction they were both out.

Any advice always welcomed.

(P.S Hoping to take it to the 'Ring in May if the wife let's me)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Exhaust Issues 156 2.5

The garage will surely tell you where the leak was?

Heard a few case of front pipe corrosion - see thread by Pikey < http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...problem-4.html > for a bit more info.

Not sure about the emissions - as they measure at the tail pipe, whatever gasses getting through would pass by the lamda, regardless of a leak, but maybe the fact only part of the exhaust gasses pass it would affect the reading & therefore what the ECU would do ??

Sure someone else would have an idea!
AO Silver Member
County: Powys
Re: Exhaust Issues 156 2.5

Usually it would be down to the lambda sensor failing, an exhaust leak won't make that much difference.
Oh and there is no centre box....
The first "box" is the Cat... next is the first box, and then the back box. If your leak is on or around the cat it coould be the cat that is knackered...On the plus side you can get a sports cat for less money than an original, and it should increase power. I would consider a st/steel system while your at it, as that will also increase power slightly, so I have just spent &#163;600 for you...and you need to get your headlights done properly as they are lined up on a machine, most MOT stations would do this as a freebie, when I had mine re aligned a bulb had dropped out and sent the beam up in the air, so I fiddled and made it worse, got the boys at my local tyre centre to do it when they changed my tyres, and the only charged for the bulb, not the adjustment.
Hope this helps

Bright Yella Fiat Stilo 3dr 1.9 jasons tractor diesel Cruise, dz climate, n leather, so many toys now with 17" claws
Sadly the STILO is for sale, I've now got a Renault Master beavertail
I pop in here to have a look now and again-but don't know what to say
Written off in the prime of life...My Bella.
2.5 V6 SP3 156 Cosmos Blue, Black Momo leather, Carbon dash.Freeflow cat, pipercross filter,Smoked repeaters, Scuddetto centre grill, blacked out side grille bars.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , exhaust , issues