156 will not go into gear - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Re: 156 will not go into gear

Hi again Loobyloo,
Sorry to hear you're still having problems but I still don't think it's time to send your car to the knackers yard. Reading through your posts you said your car was stuck in gear at one point but it's now in neutral so hopefully your gearbox should be ok.
Mine got stuck in gear as well one morning and the problem was down to the selespeed pump not priming up. Turned out it was a dodgy contact on a relay which was fixed by a bit of sandpaper and WD40.
Your mechanic may just have over filled your selespeed reservoir, the whole sele system takes just over half a litre so any excess should come out of the breather-overflow pipe which is attached to the filler cap, (and should be pulled off before checking the oil level.) This pipe then disappears down through a hole in the plastic cover over your sele tank, hangs down the inner wing ready to deposit any excess all over your driveway!
The relays are attached to the front of your battery tray and I still don't know which one actually controls the selespeed pump but I took them all out one by one to clean them, also removed the relay tray itself to clean and WD40 underneath, where the wiring fits into the relay bottoms.
Hope you're back up and running soon anyway!
Sponsored Links

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , gear