Which fuel is best? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
Which fuel is best?

I have a 147 2.0 and have been using BP but recently topped up at my local supermarket. Since then the engine seems slightly sluggish and a little more noisy than usual. I'm assuming its the fuel so what does everyone else fill up with? Shell? BP? Texaco?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Which fuel is best?

usually just any old unleaded, i put it some Shell Vpower in last night and didnt find it made any difference really maybe a little more responsive but that may have been me just Imagining it to make the extra money worth it more
AO Member

Member car:

156, Spider

I put anything in. The supermarket fuel comes from the same refineries - the big brands claim to put all sorts of things in that may or may not do something or other, but I've never seen very much evidence to suggest that it's anything more than marketing guff.

As an aside, I have a place and a car abroad in a country where the place you buy your petrol from really can make a difference, in that substandard and / or contaminated fuel is fairly common - it's a bit of Russian roulette when you fill up. That sort of thing does happen here (usually by accident) but personally, i wouldn't be bothered about where i fill up over here.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

I have never noticed a blind bit of difference, on a variety of cars from an alfa, to an XJR, 4.2 audi etc.
I put it down to placebo effect?

Even if it did make 2 or 3% difference, would you actually notice such a small difference anyway?
Power is torque multiplied by revs, so your looking at 1 or 2 lb/ft of torque, thats all, a cold day would probably provide more of a difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT