Well, went and saw this car plius a couple of others... and ended up walking away with it on the same day! Two main things convinced me:
1. Car was pretty much immaculate, only issues are a slightly (very) scuffed alloy (but the seller gave me a spare alloy!!), and a small (unnoticeable really) dent in a door (the metal seems particularly soft there). The interior looks brand new I have to say.
2. Service history, impeccable... last service cost the original owner £700 - had loads done to it.
Anyway, in summary the car does not look like it has done 57k miles - it really is tidy... and that admission from me is pretty good as I am VERY fussy
car came with 12months warranty, MOT but no tax. As you folks have said, it's probably about £300 over priced, but for the condition I figure it is worth a premium.
As for the drive - well, my previous car was a Mrk 5 Golf GTi (lovely) which I sold to free up a bit of cash... the 147 is not really in the same league (but I was not expecting it to be) - but it drives nice, and the engine sounds good at the higher rev end. Some things that took a little getting used to..
1. After the GTi the gearchange feels slightly "vague", you need a lighter touch.
2. The accelerator and brake pedals are quite close to one another which means chunky shoes make driving a bit difficult.
Anyway - thanks for help on this... my next question to post will be:
1. Suspension - lowering advice (seems to ride a little high)
2. Chipping - would love an extra 20BHP if poss...