156 Engine Malfunction issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

156 Engine Malfunction issue

I have a continous issue with the engine malfunction. My car has had the lamda sensor changed three times in the last three year. However more recently the issue has somewhat turned into a mystery. I took my car to an Alfa dealership in Wimbledon and once they ran the diagnostics they found a number of errors. All of the errors suggested an issue with the fuel mixture which they cleared out and £200 later told me that my car was ready. After driving it for 50 miles or so the engine malfunction light came back on and I was back in the garage. Now I have been informed that this is more of a trial and error exercise as they are seeing a number of conflicting code errors. They reckon that the air mass meter might need replacing but the code errors dont point to it as yet. I have driven the car after having the codes reset and its running smoothly but given my experience the engine malfunction warning will come back on soon. The petrol consumption has been really high recently and the car does feel alot quicker than usual, suggesting that the fuel is burning very lean. Can anyone help? I love my Alfa but this issue has been really putting me off my car. Whats most frustrating is that even an Alfa dealer cannot determine the issue.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: 156 Engine Malfunction issue

alfa dealers usually cant.

when the problem returns try disconnecting the MAF to see if that is the cause.

if you ever go back to the dealer tell them to stop reading codes like a bunch of children and instead examine live data to identify anything unusual.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 28-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Is replacing the MAF an expensive process? From what I am gathering I have a possible issue with the variator as well, as my car at times sounds like a diesel when I start it. Secondy, the timing belt was changed 10,000 miles ago which would mean the variator should have been as well.
AO Member

Ask them to tell you the exact fault codes and post them back here to see if that helps.

Hi, mafs cost £90 -£100 for a Bosch and fitting them yourself is a easy straightforward job. Don't buy a cheapie maf of ebay, they don't seem to last long, do a search for maf on here, you'l get plenty of info. Don't assume variator was changed with belts, as the fact it's started to make noises after 10'000m makes it almost certain it wasn't. Variators are about £70 -£80 but the belts need removing to fit it. Try the link below for parts, been recomended by many on here. good luck with the car.

Alfa Romeo 156 Engine/Cam Belt for 1.8 & 2.0

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , engine , issue , malfunction