My fuel economy's plummeted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 25-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147

My fuel economy's plummeted

Hi guys,

I was wondering if i could pick your brains about what's going on with my 2.0 147 at the moment. Being a bit boring i happen to have a fairly good idea what MPG i normally get according to the car's computer at any given speed (once the speed has been constant for a while obviously, not whilst accelerating or decelerating).

Recently the MPG reported by the computer has dropped by about 30-50%, there's nothing sounding different with the engine or feeling different with the gears. I think Iím quite sensitive to changes with the car but can't seem to feel much.

Iíve topped the oil up by the way.

The only thing that's strange is that my left front tyre was around 10 psi lower than the other tyres when i recently stopped for air. I've found some small nicks in the side of the tyre but they are quite near the rim and there appears to be another layer of solid rubber beneath. I stopped for air again a few days later and it had dropped about 2.5 psi in the 2-3 days.

Two questions,

1) Do you guys think i need to change my tyre or can the existing one be repaired? I'd have thought if air is going out of them fairly slowly it's not that serious (my tyres were all very new when i bought the car 16 months ago and still have loads of tread left so Iím not trying to be stingy here!)

2) Can this really be the reason for such a large drop off in fuel economy. Straight after pumping the tyre back up to 2.4 bar the fuel economy was still reported as being far below it's normal level.

I'll monitor how many miles i get from this tank to see if the computer is wrong but it'll take a while to get the results of that and i have to drive to Manchester from London for a flight in a weeks time. If there's something wrong with the car Iíd like to get it sorted before that drive, don't think my girlfriend will be talking to me if Bella breaks down and we miss our flight!

Thanks in advance for your time and help guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

economy , fuel , plummeted