Buying a second hand Alfa GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Help Buying a second hand Alfa GT

Hi to all

I am currently in the process of buying a 2005 Alfa GT JTD .

Everything checks out fine on the car except one thing. The first time I switched on the car two of the error lights came on. The onboard computer notified me about an ABS and VCD failure, never the less we took the car for a test drive. 10 minutes later when we took the car out for a second time all the error mesages were gone (without any intervention from the dealer)! After reviewing the service record we noted that this problem existed on the car from the first service (20000km).

Should I be concerned?

Has anyone else had this problem before? The dealer said its an electronic problem that can be solved easily by resetting the computer (some how I doubt it since it has been a problem for almost 3 years now and has been reset several times ).

Any advice or warnings to a prospective buyer?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Buying a second hand Alfa GT

Hello and welcome.: ECU fault? Need those diagnostic 'gurus' for a definitive answer I guess.?:
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 22-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Some how I dont think its an ECU problem. I think (or hope) that its a sensor issue and not an actual ABS or VCD failure
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Welcome to AO

Moved to GT Lounge
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

not uncommon. it usually suggests a power supply fault to the VDC/ECU. in some cars, this has been implicated to one of the MIDI fuses in the housing atop the battery's POS terminal.

see my pic (taken for other purposes). fuse in question is the dark blue MIDI one. replacing this fixes problems i'm referring to, but i can't be certain it's what caused the fault you experienced:

note, mine is a V6, and similar probs i've read about are with GTA's. so it could be different in a JTD, including the fuse layout. but if that fuse exists, you could have the dealer replace it with a new one.

i recall i had the error too when i first had the car (day 1), but it has not recurred. so perhaps it relates to the VDC/ECU resetting itself after having sat in a dealer largely unused for a prolonged period.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , buying , hand