156 Exhaust Manifolds - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 Exhaust Manifolds

'Afternoon all,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to retrofit the pre. 2001 single cat. exhaust manifold & downpipes to a 2001 3 cat. model 1.8 T'Spark? If so, what else has to be changed and how do I 'fool' the ECU into thinking the two front cats are still there (could resistors be used or do I have to fit the Lambdas into the downpipes)? Any advice welcomed (just seen the price of a new front downpipe!!! Suppose I don't really need both kidneys anyway!!).

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: 156 Exhaust Manifolds

There's two lambda's in the EU3 model that plug into the manifolds.. I don't think you could leave the lambdas unplugged, so you would have to fit them into the down pipe or somewhere, otherwise it would trigger errors. Now as for what effect their readings would be without a cat before them, and what effect that would have on the ECU, I don't know. I'm sure someone has done it before though with a 147 T.S. Have a search about in the Tuning & Upgrades forum..
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

A friend of mine retro-fitted the earlier manifold to his CF3 156 by drilling a hole in the downpipe and welding a nut over the hole to screw second lambda sensor into. I think the thread is M14x2, you should be able to pick up a nut in that size easily enough.

AO Gold Member

The main cat itself is different too, so I think you'd have to change the whole exhaust system.....

Why do you need to change the downpipe? If its just the flexy you can get that replaced...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , exhaust , manifolds